Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Non Starter

Budjuggler

I have recently disconnected the battery and put in on charge. Having completed the charge and reconnected the engine does not turn over. No attempt! Engine is a 1.6K SS

The lights work, the ignition light comes on but, on turning the key, there is zero response.

Ideas please

R770 VOM Anniversary (with cycle wings)

Edited by - andy webber on 15 Dec 2002 16:00:35

Andy,

Just because there's enough juice in the battery to power the lights, doesn't mean there's going to be enough to start the engine.

I just wonder if you have left the battery long enough to flatten it totally, what with your foot and all? The battery might not really be taking any charge at all, despite what your charger says. I don't think the Banner batteries like being flattened completely. *confused*

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Andy

With the lights on do they go dim when you try and start it?

If yes, it is probably Battery or connections

If no it's either

ECU Fuse

Bad live connection from Battery to Starter

Bad Earth from Battery or Body to Engine

Small wire not connected to starter

Knackered starter

Only other thing to consider is connections to Batter Master Switch if you have one

Mark

................................but we still want to know Mr Webber. You can't disappoint your reading public now can you !

Anyway, we all have done stupid things. So, I'll start then.

I remember doing the tappets on my Triumph 1500 (1st car) and being in a hurry to get to an evening job I had. Put the rocker box cover back on and shot off to work. Coming home at about 10.30 I noticed the water temp gauge rising to the red. Pulled over, bonnet up. Nothing obvious. Fan belt in place, no radiator/hose leaks etc. Anyway, I let it cool a bit and then started off again. Same result. To cut a long story short it took me 'till 1.30 in the morning to get home. Looked at it next day in daylight and realised in my hurry I'd trapped the sender wire under the rocker box cover and shorted it out !!!! Live & learn etc. 😬

Clamshell Club Founder Member and stationary engine enthusiast.

OK. But you have to promise to keep this to yourself - just between the two of us. OK?

The problem was that, having connected evrything up, I stood at the side of the car, put the key in and turned it. Nothing.

Listen, its not my fault, I've not had the red starter button long and I forgot it. OK? No stop, its not that funny - and don't forget you promised not to tell anyone else.

Thanks DEn

R770 VOM Anniversary (with cycle wings) and starter button

😬 😬 😬

Seriously, glad you sorted it !! Proves EVERYONE has had one of these at some stage!!

Almost exactly the same thing happened to me some years ago...just doing normal checks before an early Sunday blat, everyhting OK, tyres, oil, battery etc., except it don't start - churn churn churn, flooded carbs, churn churn churn, no life.... This is Sat night, so instead of pub, head under the car - smack fuel pump with hammer, nothing, remove fuel pump, and rebuild (now 1am, and up to elbows in grease, crud and fuel!), nothing.....give up, sleep, and blat in the tintop on Sunday....

Picnic lunch on Sunday someone mentions, fuel cut switch...... P*****d or what? 😳

Is THAT all? V.easy mistake especially if you've only just fitted it.

I still do it occasionally out of habit when I've spent all week driving the tin top which still uses the conventional key start. You'll soon get used to it.

Still comes as a thrill to start the engine on that button though even a year on since fitting it. 😬

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

Oh yes.. done this a few times.

I was taking someone out for a ride once and it wouldn't start in the garage, so jumped out the car all embarressed, off with the bonnet, everything looked fine. Back in car... realised I hadn't pushed the button *mad* Away she goes, out of car, back on with bonnet and passenger was suitable scared a few minutes later *smile*

Very easy to do!

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Oh come on guys you are all being FAR too understanding and soft on Andy.

Surely this deserves a monumental wind up and p*** take *cool* AND...... at the very least it merits a special award at the Phoenix Xmas bash on Thursday 😬

See you there Andy......he he he 😬 😬 😬

After all I've NEVER done anything that daft, or worse

It wasn't my fault I didn't notice that I hadn't taken the spanner off the crank pulley when I was turning the motor to time it on that old Cortina. How was I to know it would fly off and demolish the rad. when I started her up?

Or there was that time I was unblocking the sink, emptied the contents of it and the U bend in to a bowl, looked for somewhere to tip it and, cleverly, tipped it straight back into the sink having not replaced the trap. *confused*

Brainless? Moi? Nah! *smile*

Just to keep it near the top *wink* *tongue*

I can't take the p*** - you guys haven't done my quiz yet! 😳

I'm sure Mr Foster will be in agreement, anyone who does take the Michael automatically volunteers to do next years' quiz.... *thumbup*

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!