Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Which dampers+springs for live axle?

YW Sin

Hi every body!

My French MOT test a few days ago showed that my standard Caterham front left damper is rather dead.

So I am thinking of getting one of those adjustable (height and damper strength) stuffs.

It is for the road use and any of you guys could recomend me a good sturdy one??? My car is an 1996 X-flow, live axle.

~~~ standard 1.7 X-flow

Ok.

Avo's are good value for money.

Freestyle are doing them or get them direct from AVO.

They have a website search on google.

I fitted Rose joint or spherical bearings to the axle to damper joint instead of standard rubber bushes.

AVO do this as an option at little extra cost.

The way the live axle is set up means a one wheel loading of the axle try and does bend the damper.

I proved this on the testing bench. A bend damper does not allow the piston to travel very well and wears out ahead of time.

It TRANSFORMED the car to be able to travel of bumpy B roads much faster! The live axle skip and hop was all but irradicated.

As for lb'age some go very stiff on the front. I went for 280lb front and 110 rears.

The AVO's have 24 distinct clicks and aer adjustable easily by hand unlike the spax on both counts.

You have to shim the joint either side to allow it to rotate. I found I had some 10mm dia centred steel pipe that was perfect.

Good luck

Pics of the AVO's can be seen

here

Note there is also a pic showing how the axle under some one wheel travel would try to bend the damper were it for the spherical joint.

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 15 Dec 2002 14:10:27

I fitted Leda's with a rose joint on the rear. They are very good, but can't say if they are better than AVO's. I have had them for 2 years and have no complaints. I bought mine direct from Leda.

As for springs, 110 on the rear and 300 on the front.