Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A demon with a Dremel

Golf Juliet Tango

Stephen, have you tried, or thought about trying one of those little dashboard mounted fan rather than slicing up the 21?

I was always going to make a hole in the top of the dash for a ventilation outlet, but never mustered the courage, or the right angled cutter needed.

Best of luck. 😶‍🌫️

• Area Representative

Quoting TangoMikeRomeo: 
I have a dremel you are welcome to borrow - not sure if i would want to take it to your car though!

I have my doubts too but the condensation inside the cabin as I drove up to the MK Christmas dinner was dangerous, I should really have turned around and put the car back in the garage. I was putting myself and the car in danger and was a danger to others too.

• Area Representative

Paul

I feel the same, I have doubts about the wisdom of doing this but the 21 is really short of places to put fans or clips or mounting points (as you know).

My alternative thoughts are to buy one of these electrical fan heaters but I haven't checked to see if I have 14A to spare! The advantage of this approach would be that it will cut heat in immediately (waiting for spare engine heat takes too long).

Even with the kit that I bought, I think there may be too little space under the dash to mount the vents. It might have been better to buy a couple of the small demist plenums

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 8 Jan 2014 18:31:20

Hi Stephen

I can't exactly recall what demist provision is provided on the 21 as standard. (I guess it must have had something for homologation, same as the 7 has a heated screen to meet requirements)

Might it be possible to improve what is there to make it work rather than an add-on solution/cut/vent? By this I mean fitting a more powerful fan or improve ducting, etc...

Peter

• Area Representative

Quoting 6speedmanual: 
Hi Stephen

I can't exactly recall what demist provision is provided on the 21 as standard. (I guess it must have had something for homologation, same as the 7 has a heated screen to meet requirements)

Might it be possible to improve what is there to make it work rather than an add-on solution/cut/vent? By this I mean fitting a more powerful fan or improve ducting, etc...

Peter

Hi Peter

Demist is like the Seven, heated windscreen. In conditions like today, when it is mild, the condensation from warm exhaled breath is not a problem after 5 mins. When colder and persisting down, it isn't.

No vents (later versions of the several prototypes have tiny outlets by door hinge) and the heater matrix is smaller than on the Seven.

• Area Representative

Hi Regin

Quite right. This is why the electrical device was not my first point of call.

I don't know if a bit more moving warmish air will make enough difference either. I do know that the existing heater is smaller than that in a Seven and its effect is commensurately reduced.

I think venting is the keyword.

If the moist stays in the car you can warm it up to 80 degrees and still not be able to see the road.

Airflow passing the windscreen is also important. Whether you need hot air depends on the temperature of the glass. If the glass is colder than the dew point then water in the air might condensate, but even from ice water does evaporate.