Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cam belt tensioner operation

Mole

I have a 1.8 K series (EU3) with automatic belt tensioner. Having just fitted a new pair of cams, refitted the belt, set the tensioner correctly etc. I noticed that once the engine had been run up to normal operating temp the "pointer" was no longer pointing at the index wire (i.e. at an orientation of about 3 o'clock) but had moved clockwise by about 60 degrees i.e. pointing to about 5 o'clock). Stopped the engine and checked the torque on the tensioner securing bolt - it was OK. Thought I would re-check once the engine was cold, however, once the engine cooled, the pointer returned to its 3 o'clock position!

Is this what you would expect to see during normal operation or is there something wrong?

SV 52 CAT the mole is hibernating

Excpansion and contraction of the block/head assembly and the belt will cause the tension to vary with engine temperature. Provided the tensioner plate groove is aligned with the indicator wire when the engine is cold and stationary and the belt tension is on the driven side of the belt (I.E. the engine has been turned in a clockwise direction), then all should be well.

Oily

Excellent - thanks Dave *thumbup*

Out of interest, do you have any of the securing bolts for the tensioner? My local Rover dealer seems completely unable to supply the correct bolt (after 2 attempts) and I'm worried that I didn't replaced the original one when I fitted the new cams?

It would be good if you could supply me a couple *smile*

SV 52 CAT the mole is hibernating