Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Class 2 tyres - Yokohama AD08

Matthew Willoughby

Having been given a tip off by Simon I’ve just spoken to Yokohama and they have confirmed that they are no longer producing the AD08 which the majority of Class 2 use. It has been replaced by the AD08-R which is a list 1b tyre. There are still some stocks of the AD08 available but they are getting harder to come by, so if you want to get a new set I would advise you to do so ASAP. Just make sure you don't buy the new R version by mistake or you'll be dumped into Class 3.

IIRC tyres that will no longer appear in the Blue Book in either List 1a or List 1b are normally marked with an asterisk giving 12 months notice however, this is not the case for the AD08 so you should expect to able to use them for 2014 and 2015.

However, as Matthew has shown the A539 is clearly the quicker list 1a tyre 😬

• 5 weeks later...

Had a long chat with the Yokohama guy's at Autosport, seems like they have had a lot of queries regarding the AD08 to AD08r change, but they did not seem to have a clue as they made the comment that well don't all championships allow both list 1A & 1B now, so theres not a problem. Doh.

So it looks like AD08 this year then either back to A539 or the Falkens, unless a new list 1A supertyre comes out. I bet anyone who does turn up in Class 2 with a new set of AD08 tyres is going to come under close scrutiny as from a quick glance they don't appear that different until you take a close look at the model number.