Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

help with harness

the.vet

MAY be a numpty question but I'm looking to increase my safety in the car. Like many my waist straps ride up. I'm thinking about adding this:

here

Is this compatible with my standard 4 point harness (2000 year 4 point caterham harness)?

If so, how easy is fitting?

Graeme

Turning a 4 point harness into a six point (anti submarine) system is far the best option. The crotch straps bolt to the rear bulkhead / floorpan mounts so you will need to take the seat out and off course you need a seat which has provission for crotch straps, And do the same for your passenger as well.

What are the collective thoughts on 2 contentious topics in the archives:

S type leather seats - is it ok to feed the straps over the top of the seat base and sit on them? Other option is the base port / hole in middle of the seat option.

Mounting - to rear bulkhead mounts that means drilling through to the chassis or using the existing lap belt mounts?

Sorry if the questions are stupid!

I think it's OK to use a crotch strap with leather seats, as it will just squish the front of the seat base a bit.

There should be 2 'tangs' jutting out of the rear panel, next to the floor behind each seat.

This is where the crotch strap fits - the bolt goes down through the tang and crotch strap fastener, then through an ally spacer and then through a hole drilled in the floor, with a penny washer and nut underneath.

I have a couple of spare crotch straps if you wanted to try one.

HTH - Simon

Some info / pics in an earlier thread here.

I went for the Caterham part here. From memory I think that included the fittings (picture seems to suggest so), but I know that it doesn't include the sleeves neeeded if you have a lowered floor (here). They always show up as out of stock - so phone up Caterham Parts and they should be able to get hold of them for you.

I'm happy with the belt being on top of the seat - though I know that Guy is looking at having a hole as per a Tillet seat.

Seats have to come out and I had a right game getting the old bolts off - rusted solid. Other than that, not too difficult a job (having a helper helps 😬)

Quoting the.vet: 
Do you know if the fixings are supplied as standard with the belts I've linked to above or where to source suitable fixings?

The DT page says "Supplied With Eye Bolts" - but if you're not sure, ask a question via the Q&A tab (they normally reply pretty quick) or call them.

Thread hijack (sorry) - this looks to be a distinct improvement for minimal cash outlay, but, as MrsH and I are differently tall and have the seat in different positions, how easy is it to adjust the crotch strap once fitted? (assuming, belts sit over the squab)

Squab out is easy enough, but my guess is it's going to involve reaching behind the seat also...

☹️

Quoting AntonyH: 
Thread hijack (sorry) - this looks to be a distinct improvement for minimal cash outlay, but, as MrsH and I are differently tall and have the seat in different positions, how easy is it to adjust the crotch strap once fitted? (assuming, belts sit over the squab)

Squab out is easy enough, but my guess is it's going to involve reaching behind the seat also...

☹️

We decided to fit the buckles near the rear anchoring points (behind the seat), which means adjustment would be very difficult. You could move the buckles forward to make adjustment much easier - but you would then be sitting on them!