Click here if you are having website access problems ×

KV6 Manifold/ Head coolant connection Is this right?

F355GTS

I've just pulled my KV6/SLR manifold for a peek. It looks just the same. Its not pretty is it?

As long as there is a small passage for air to pass thru and the little ball bearing inside is free to move you should be okay. It appears to be glued in with some sort of epoxy?

Cheers

Bob

Drill the ball bearing out. It's more trouble than it's worth. I drilled mine out. If you fit Jenvey's, you will need a "tap" similar to the one you have on the KV6 manifold, but it won't have a ball bearing valve in it. Many people running successfully with this config.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

If its not giving you any problems then the ball bearing should help the cooling performance. Its there to allow air bubbles to flow past easily during coolant filling but prevents coolant flow during normal operation.

Without the ball bearing coolant will short circuit the cylinder head and radiator by just pissing into the header tank. I think you should be able to hear the ball click side to side when you squeeze the top hose just to make sure its moving about properly. When installing on dyno I used to give it a poke with a piece of wire and let the coolant come out for a couple of seconds just to convince myself the head was air free.

Bob