Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Replacing front crank oil seal

Dave B

Anyone got an idiots guide to replacing the front oil seal. I seem to have a nasty leak and it was an advisory at the last mot. Due to limited space, is it possible to do this with engine in car? Should point out, K series.

Thanks in advance

Dave B

Edited by - Dave B on 10 Dec 2013 10:27:30

It is perfect possible to replace the seal, but be careful not to mark the front of the crank when you lever out the old seal and use a tapered sleeve to place the new seal, tap it fully home with a large socket and make sure it is square. Be careful with the cam timing and ensure the crank bolt is done up sufficiently tight. If the belt is fouled with oil, replace it.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 10 Dec 2013 11:52:05

You can jam a big screwdriver or chisel in the gap at the back of the engine (i.e. offside) to stop the flywheel from turning when you undo it and torque it back up again after you've done the job. The genuine oil seals should come with a sleeve to protect the nose of the crank when fitting. If you get stuck, I have one that I could post over to Gran Canaria. I'm pretty sure I didn't bin it, as I tend to save stuff for a rainy day. *rolleyes*

Despite being so advised by many people (including yourself Mankee) and Oilyhands that a screwdriver would suffice (and I'm certainly not arguing that it wouldn't) personally I didn't fancy the idea as the crank pulley is very very tight, so when I was changing my head gasket I bought myself a Laser 4523 Flywheel Locking Tool (all over eBay), which I was told wouldn't fit with the Caterham bellhousing in place, and as you can see in the picture it was possible to pack a few washers behind it to lock the flywheel with absolutely no chance of anything moving or slipping. I used slightly oversized washers and filed a very slight flat on one side to make sure they were a snug fit. Probably complete overkill but I've since used it on another engine I've been building up and works a treat.

http://revilla.dyndns.org/Public/CrankLock2.jpg

Quoting Mankee: 
I'm pretty sure I didn't bin it, as I tend to save stuff for a rainy day. *rolleyes*
I definitely have one I'm happy to post. Got a seal as well, I'm sure. From Rimmer so OE.

I used a G-clamp to secure the screwdriver. Revilla, looks like you removed the starter motor to use that? Way too much effort *tongue* *wavey*