Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Input shaft length / Now I'm lost...

catastrada

I just ordered a Sadev seq. gearbox and I need to spec. the input shaft.

I'd like to avoid unfitting my engine/gearbox to measure it as the new box delivery is planned for end of february.

The gearbox will be fitted to my 2.0L Duratec using the Raceline short bellhousing (as it is currently).

The length of the bellhousing is 172mm (confirmed by Raceline).

Raceline advised me an input shaft length of 176mm.

The usual lenght I found on blatchat is 175mm.

But Sadev is saying that usually people are ordering a 171mm input shaft for this application.

According to Raceline 171mm is too short.

Has anybody already ordered a Sadev gearbox (even with the regular 192mm bellhousing) and could tell me the lengh of the input shaft they specified?

*cry*

Funnily enough, I'm stuck in the same process.

I also have the Titan compact bellhousing (as sold by Raceline) and a Duratec motor. Problem is that the motor hasn't arrived yet so I can't measure anything. The new bellhousing is in a box at the unit so could be measured to confirm.

I'll watch this thread with interest.

Edited by - Peter De La Mare on 2 Dec 2013 13:10:30

Peter, that's why I asked you to give me the lenghth of your input shaft when you wanted to join our Sadev bulk buy *wavey*

Phil at Road and Racce is thinking 171 should be fine but not 100% sure.

I called SWR in UK, they are thinking that 171 should be fine but not 100% sure.

I can't understand they cannot tell what they are ordering to Sadev for their customers.

I understood they already sold several Sadev SCL82-17 for Caterham. I can't beleibe it's different each time.

Edited by - Catastrada on 2 Dec 2013 13:18:18

Ah, hello Gilles *wavey* *thumbup*

It is peculiar that SWR/Sadev aren't able to produce the specs of the Caterham spec gearbox. All have Duratec motors with the Titan bellhousing. How can they differ?

We'll get to the bottom of it. *smokin*

Be very cearful when measuring/ calculating input shaft length. I measured my duratec engine crank hole depth then measured the gearbox/ belhousing protrusion. Cut the input shaft down to my dimensions and then built the whole lot together. Iit all went together fine until i tried to dis-engage the clutch. I discovered that the hole in the crank is not flat bottomed so I had measured to deepest part of the the hole,(I was using a thin verniercaliper) the gearbox input shaft (which is obviously fatter) was catching on the tapered hole, and so would not dis-engage. It was only about 0.080" too long but obviously ment full engine and gearbox removal...

you live and learn

I have done several I usually fit the bell housing to the gearbox and with a straight edge across the open face mark and cut the input shaft. Therefore in the case of the short RL bell housing being 172 then sadev advising input shaft length of 171 makes sense.

However Peter Mcewan knows his stuff and 176 will also probably fit, this would give you the chance to dummy build and trim the input shaft back a tad if its found to foul.

Edited by - Rob Walker on 3 Dec 2013 14:38:28

As Far as I know Caterham do not use the short bell housing supped by either Raceline or Titan. I personally prefer the short bell housing on a better weight distribution basis and also that it gives more clearance for the dry sump connection fittings as the engine is further back in the chassis away from the lower chassis rails on the arch chassis. I am sure that SWR / Sadev normally supply the input shaft that suits the long bell housing as this is the normal Caterham race car installation and all cars will have to comply with their regs.

Quoting James.S: 
CC did me a great deal on mine, without any messing around. *smile*

The lever or the whole box?

I tried to buy a Sadev from CC but they refused to sell me one as they weren't for sale yet. *mad* *nono*

I did the same and had the same answer as you Peter.

Today I talked to my contact at Sadev and he said that all boxes now have:

- a modified shift lever

- a modified mount (where the box sits on the chassis)

But he was not able to describe the modifications.