Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear View Mirror

RICHCAT7

With two good and well adjusted side mirrors, the centre rear view mirror can reasonably removed altogether. It tends to be full of roll cage, shoulders, head-rests (in a 7) and peoples, luggage, blinding hids of following drivers, the car on the trailer, etc (in a car) and bulkhead panel (in a van).

So many times the mirror is looked at but the required info is not available, the side mirrors are inevitably used every time also.

I took my mirror off 7 and adjust rear view to headlining in cars for over 7 years. I've not looked back since.

Peter

• Leadership Team

Why not just fit the o/e Caterham mirror to the screen *confused* It works perfectly well, rearward vision is acceptable and the view is actually clearest of the 3 mirrors.

A scuttle mounted mirror is not viable with a screen and unless you're prepared to mount the original (or similar) large size mirrors to the stanchions rather than the doors, the rearview is compromised.

Stu.

Quoting AntonyH: 
...ours fell off in the garage a couple of times last winter, on nights of significant sub-zero (Celsius) temperature.

Mine fell off too - so I cleaned the screen with some white spirit, and pressed the mirror firmly back into place. There was an audible *tink* and the windscreen cracked from top to bottom. *mad*

Thanks for all your ideas, going to do some trials this weekend,quite like the no mirror *idea* also *eek*

Got a feeling will plump for lower screen mount,slightly to the left, maybe screen mount,not scuttle,(dont like drilling holes if i dont have too!)

*thumbup*

• 2 years later...

My original pad-fixed mirror was excellent, then I had several with too much vibration in the ball joint.

I fitted a new windscreen yesterday, and following BC recommendations (in another thread that I can't find) bought a Summit suction mirror. What I hadn't realised is that these have a lever mechanism that pulls the sucker back (like a professional glass gripper) rather than needing the air to leave under the seal, (as with toy arrows). Very impressed with the suction, but haven't tested the vibration yet.

Jonathan

PS: Here's the one I bought: Summit RV-34. But the description on the Amazon site is wrong: it's very small and probably won't give enough width of view for road use. Should be good for trackdays and driving instructors. They gave me a discount and I've ordered a bigger one.

JK - would the small Summit mirror be an improvement on the passenger's door-mounted mirror if fitted to the top left of the screen? - I've never been ble to adjust the door mirror to give a decent view. 

My family bought me one of the very wide mirrors mentioned by ALASKOSSIE on http://www.mirrorsforsevens.com/index.htm which gives a very wide but shallow view and takes a bit of getting used to - things passing by close on the left appear to be moving across the rear of the car!

... would the small Summit mirror be an improvement on the passenger's door-mounted mirror if fitted to the top left of the screen? - I've never been ble to adjust the door mirror to give a decent view. 

Just been out to play with that position with another mirror. It would be OK for a view back along the interior without a passenger or past a passenger's head. But to see more L of that are you thinking of looking through the LH door plastic or over the top of the door? If the former and with my head height the mirror would have to come down the screen a fair bit.

Jonathan

PS: But what's the problem with the door mirror? Mine's in the factory position and I adjust it to show a sliver of wing along the bottom and a tad of boot cover to the R.

The Summit RV-34 looks like the one I've used all the time I've had a 7 (13 years, probably 100,000 miles) and maybe I'm just used to it but I've never found it too small.  The view is limited by the seats anyway so I don't know what benefit a wider view would give me, unless I went all the way to one of the