Click here if you are having website access problems ×

IVA Side Repeater Location & Type

Gregs79

Hi all,

Before anyone says anything, I know that there are loads of posts on side repeaters and some about SVA, but I am in the process of trying to work out what options I have to make sure that my car passes its IVA test.

The first option (which I would prefer not to do) is do as Caterham states using the standard rectangular indicators, in the wing.

Secondly, mount another type of indicator in the wing like these (if e-marked) here or here to look like this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-862yFU5y1Ho/UbziDgwBF0I/AAAAAAAAAa4/_HHFesVmpvg/s1600/side+repeater+2.JPG

Third option is to mount in the body of the car behind the front wheel.

Forth option is to mount something similar to option 2 in the side of the headlight as per here Does anyone have a template for doing this?!

The paint shop have drilled 2 holes in the front wings and hence I would choose option 2 over 1 (if acceptable for IVA). Option 4 seems to be the best to me as it is mounted higher and might be more visible to other drivers and myself driving.

Is the Caterham option the only one that will get my car through IVA without issue!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Gregs

I built my car as per standard Caterham parts and due to a misinterpretation of the IVA standards by the tester failed on the visibility of the front indicators.

So I looked up the standard... (which is how I know it was misinterpreted). It is available to download online.

Indicators are dealt with on page 23; well I sent that page as part of my carefully-worded "are you sure" email which to be fair, was answered immediately in an apologetic manner.

Edited by - BigCol on 27 Nov 2013 09:06:57

• Area Representative

Best bet is to borrow some wings with side repeaters and fit just for the test. Also makes sure the wing protrudes sufficiently past the rim.

After the test you can do as you wish. Personally I favour repeaters in the headlamp bowl. 😬

Quoting Gregs79: 
Forth option is to mount something similar to option 2 in the side of the headlight as per here Does anyone have a template for doing this?!

Hi Gregs,

I have these from sevenspeed; didn't use a template as such, but:

These particular ones are fairly 'deep' so getting them in the bowl without clashing with the back of the headlamp reflector took a bit of guesswork, removing the rubber boot covering the main bulb connector block, and trimming down the overall length of the rubber mounting tube of the repeater.

It also meant moving the repeaters more toward the rear of the bowl than a shallower repeater would demand (the ebay linked ones you posted look much shallower).

Various pics on Facebook showing location.

Can't comment on their IVA-friendliness, but the sevenspeed ones are then easy to fit and have passed an MOT since (and were specifically noticed - the tester initially spotted the absence of repeaters on the wings, so was positively looking for them).

Also, having them that little further back makes them even more visible from the driving seat, no bad thing.

In terms of fitting, I took an estimate of the best place to fit them, stuck masking tape on the bowls and marked that location, then took a measurement of that using a pair of compasses from the bolt hole top centre (the retaining bolt of the headlamp cowling ring), and the closest point of the front of the bowl itself. This can then be duplicated to the other bowl to get them at "the same" place each side.

Then drill a modest hole and gently open it out with larger drills and then a round metal file, until the repeater is a snug push fit - no glue required, the rubber holds itself in place nicely, rain or shine. Other repeaters may differ...

Edited by - AntonyH on 27 Nov 2013 14:58:22