Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wisps of steam from rad and heater matrix

Blokko

When left standing the car doesn't leak any fluids, but I've just noticed (in this cold weather) that when up to temperature there is a very small wisp of steam coming from the heater matrix and a bit more from the rad. In the case of the rad it is coming from the join between the main billet of aluminium (radiator head I guess you call it?) and the top of the rad matrix.

I will keep an eye on fluid levels, but I was just wondering what options I have to rectify this? Presuming that rad weld type stuff is a big no-no? Radiator repairs, possibly?. Or is it just a case of biting the bullet and replacing? If so, are there any options other than the standard Caterham part?

Steve, it could well be a very minor weep. I had something similar and it never leaked fluid but sucked in a little air each time the car cooled.

Best bet is a pressure test. Do you have a local friendly garage? They should have a tester that would check leaks.

You can make one with a screw in tyre valve and a spare expansion bottle cap and a bicycle pump with a gauge.

If it is weeping, go Radtech, and they are not far from you for a visit.

Cheers

Guy

Quoting Dave Jackson: 
it could just be water from when you last washed it
Been several weeks since I cleaned the car, Dave - pretty sure it is a small leak.

Quoting Mavic82: 
Best bet is a pressure test. Do you have a local friendly garage? They should have a tester that would check leaks.

You can make one with a screw in tyre valve and a spare expansion bottle cap and a bicycle pump with a gauge.

If it is weeping, go Radtech, and they are not far from you for a visit.

Cheers

Guy

Guy, I'm thinking that the people in Wednesbury who I linked to in my original post might be worth a call / visit. But maybe I just need to bite the bullet and go for a Radtec...

Quoting Nick Chan: 
Hi Steve,is it a little bit of moisture from the air just burning off? Normally you might not notice if the weather was a bit warmer

Nick

Nick, I think it was going on for too long for it to be a bit of condensation - funny that it was all coming from the same one spot as well.

Please whatever you do DON'T put a rad leak treatment in the engine

Find the problem and fix it

It isn't unusual at this time of year to get this. Its usually just condensation However, get the engine good and hot and carefully check for any witness marks from any coolant leaks (whiteish powdery residue) Check around the heater air flaps in the foot-wells as well

Pressure checks tends to show up bigger leaks but may be worth doing just in case.

Assuming you have the standard Caterham radiator with the crimped plastic top and bottom, this is how my leak started. If so, it will gradually get worse. I eventually got the wisps of steam and coolant on the windscreen on heavy acceleration. I replaced the radiator with one from Radtech via SevenSpeed. I am very happy with this solution.

Bob C

Bob - looks like I'm heading in that direction ☹️

Grant, Dave - assumed that rad leak gunk would be a bad idea (was just looking for confirmation).

So, is it worth the extra dosh for the Radtec over the standard Caterham part (£312 versus £225 approx. - without delivery) ? What does the Radtec give me over the std Caterham part?

Steve

I would say a radtech is definitely worth it. They tend to give a discount to club members and there service is first rate (in my experince) and when I did have a slight issue two years later they fixed it for just the cost of the postage. Plus it cools better.

On the other hand I went through 2 caterham rads with not so much as a hint of concern from them

Rgds

Guy

• 4 months later...

Well, finally got round to getting the radiator pressure tested. They confirmed that there were several small leaks (in their words “due to aluminium pitting”) and that it would be best to replace rather than to repair. Drove from Wednesbury to Cannock to the new home of Radtec. They are doing a Caterham radiator build run later on this week, so with a bit of luck I’ll have a shiny new one to fit at the weekend.

Hopefully the odd wisp of steam from around the heater matrix was due to condensation. We shal see....

Quoting richy: 
Is it under warranty?

Richy

2002, so just a little out of warranty 😬

Anyhow, something has just occurred to me - I've made the bold assumption that the SV rad is the same size as the S3 rad. Can anyone confirm?

• 1 month later...

So, to narrow down potential issues with the cooling system I decided to take the heater out of the equation for a while by bypassing it.

I'm happy that I've currently got the system well bled, but I've hit a slight problem with the Radtec. The fan switch is leaking slightly. I've tightened it as far as I dare (brand new switch with new copper washer), but there is still the very slightest weep from there. Any suggestions as to what to use to get a better seal?

This weekend I turned my attention to those "small wisps of steam coming from the heater matrix". Spurred on by this thread I dismantled the heater and this is what I saw -

here

and

here

So it looks to me like the O-rings have been seeping small amounts of coolant over some time. Being a Bank Holiday weekend I've not been able to procure like-for-like O-rings, but I managed to get round profile ones from Halfrauds. Used a file to smooth the surface of the plate and screwed it all back together.

Initial warm up of the engine followed by a 15 min blat and so far it seems like the heater matrix is not losing any fluid (no signs of steam or moisture) - so hopefully I have a result here *thumbup*

Edited by - Blokko on 25 May 2014 20:59:07

Steve I had the same thing and took some bottle to tighten it more, but I did after a call to radtec. The washer is a crush jobbie and it just needed a bit more twist. It was effing tight. Give radtec a call first but I seem to recall the same on my car pre USA2005. Powderpuff can confirm.

Hi Martin

I'd got to the point where I just couldn't tighten any more using regular pressure on the adjustable spanner. With a snap action I managed to turn it just a little more and, for now at least, it seems to be watertight. Will keep an eye on it over the coming days.....