Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Whats your Favourite Aircraft?

scooby dooby doo

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only just noticed this thread as well *thumbup*

Dont forget the Shuttleworth collection (near Biggleswade) for some of the most atmospheric airshows going, it feels more like a 1930's garden party than an air display. Nearly everything is pre-ww2 and you wonder how they actually get some of them in the air (with a rubber bungee cord in one case....) . There is a website here which is well worth a look - check out the gallery.

Fave planes, just about anything that flies really *cool*, but if pushed (in no particular order) :-

A10

F15 (especially when they are 'dogfighting' over my house)

Extra GS300 - a tiny little piston engined aerobatic plane, if you were at Mildenhall in (ISTR) 2000 you will have seen the Moroccan (?) air force doing aerobatics with 4 of them. IMHO the best flying of the whole day.

Pitts special (another aerobatic plane)

Hercules (have to really, as we get them overhead nearly every tuesday evening)

Lockheed Constellation - saw this at duxford a couple of years ago, it looked and sounded gorgeous

No doubt I'll be back later with a few more.......

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings.

Which is now bent ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ but is being fixed *thumbup* *smile*

I bet your sorry I discovered the bicycle sheds. Blame Steve Motts. You'll all probably want to find a new "secret" location now.

Regarding flying wings - if the 'plane is designed carefully, with adequate sweepback, a flying wing can work pretty well - even without computer aided controls. Northrop built a whole family of wings in the 1940s culminating in the bomber contracts. In Germany, Alexander Lippisch and the Horten brothers also built flying wing aircraft. The Horten Ho 229 of 1945 bears an uncanny resemblance to the current B-2. The British company, Armstrong Whitworth also built a jet powered flying wing aircraft in the late 1940s.

Aircraft design is essentially conservative (that's why there are so many 1950s designed Piper, Beech and Cessna aircraft still in production today) so anything that looks radical has an uphill struggle to gain production status - even if it is inherently superior to "normal" designs..

ah...

that's the secret of the test area - the topic name is a target to try and avoid in discussions as it starts wondering.

A good aircraft post will drag it back for a while though.

So here's a random aircraft question (to which i don't know the answer)

whats the most recently designed (and built) aircraft to have the engines IN the wing instead of the fuselarge or under the wing. eg F104, comet etc

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

Good question Hoopy. Burying engines IN the wing was almost uniquely a British fashion (Vulcan, Victor, Valiant, Comet etc). The Yanks prefered podded engines under the wing and that has become the norm for most multi-engined jets. Engines mounted on the rear fuselage were popular on airliners designed in the 60s (eg VC10, Ilyushin 62, DC-9, Trident) but this technique is now almost entiely confined to biz jets.

Engines buried in the wing confer few, if any, engineering advantages over podded engines. The main problem related to engine explosions or fires. With two adjoining engines buried side by side in a wing, if one engine fails catastrophically, then it may disrupt the neighbouring engine. Also, the wing has to be thick where the engines are buried which is aerodynamically innefficient. Finally, underslung engines help counteract a wing's natural tendency to flex upwards at the tips. If the engines are buried or on the rear fuselage, than the wing spar has to be made extra still (and therefore heavy) to stiffen up the wing.

To answer your question, I would hazard a guess that the last aircraft designed with jet engines buried in the wings would be as long ago as the mid 1950s - the Vickers Valiant bomber comes to mind.

(The F-104 Starfighter's engine is buried in the fuselage but is fed by two air intakes near each wing root).

Oh, I nearly forgot - wibble.

What a grand topic *thumbup*

See that plane on page4? of LF this month with Andrew and Nancy from N Yorks L7C...

I flew that *cool* *thumbup* *eek*

My mother used to play in Austers when a young-un in the RAF, and they look so cute that I'd definately have one if I won the lottery.

A really mechanical bi-plane with wires and cloth everywhere would suit my leather hat, so I'll have a Fairey Swordfish too.

For scaring the local farmers I'd like a Pitts Special with coloured smoke thingies...

and for peacefull Sundays at Sutton Bank I'll have the Glider from the original 'Thomas Crown Affair' (and the 'Windmills of my mind' soundtrack). *cool*

Mark

☹️ My Caterham Silver Jubilee No. 7 is for sale ☹️

I wouldn't say that the Lanc is under-rated. In fact, I think its RAF contemporaries (the Stirling and Halifax) get short shrift in comparison. The Halifax, in particular was a very capable work horse with virtually the same bomb load and, in some cases, a superior performance. During the main part of the RAF Bomber Offensive against Germany (1943-44) the Halifax shouldered almost 50% of the burden. The one advantage the Lanc posessed was its large unobstructed bomb bay. This allowed bomb designers to develop bigger and bigger bombs specifically suited to the Lanc. The Barnes Wallis designed 12,000 lb Tallboy and the 22,000 lb Grand Slamb bombs were the most devastating non-atomic bombs used in WW2 and could only be carried by the Lancaster. In fact, the Grand Slam bombs could only be carried in specially modified Lancs (the Mk IV "Special"). To show how good the Lanc was, by 1945 ALL Bomber Command squadrons had been re-eqiopped with Lancasters.

As a point of interest, the Vulcan (like the Lanc, designed by Roy Chadwick) was designed to carry the exact same bomb load (22,000 lb) as the Lancaster.

Edited by - eric mcloughlin on 13 Dec 2002 08:41:29