Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Whats your Favourite Aircraft?

scooby dooby doo

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boonie,

Yes I will definitely be going to Mildenhall - if it is on next year. I went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

There was a Harrier at one or two of the Duxford shows this year, so I was still able to get my fix *wink* We managed to get to all of the Duxford shows this year, which depending on your point of view is either really sad or very dedicated 😬

*wink*

Rach

Oh so so so many!

1. De Havilland Mosquito

2. Sopwith Camel or Pup (either is a lovely machine)

3. Handley-Page Victor (K2 Tanker varient)

4. Avro Shakleton (has to be the gas turbines glued to the back of the Griffon's that do it here!)

5. Hawker Harrier

6. North American P51d Mustang

7. Super Marine Spitfire

8. Any modern fast jets get a vote cos the make big noise and pull big G!

I could go on and on and on and on and on but I wont!

Alex

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue

If anyone is interested I have the Duxford dates for next year!! I had to ask my colleague to forward me the file and she wanted to know what for, because I am not supposed to be working on it, when I told her, she said I was sad *eek* ☹️ - but I don't care 😬

Anyway

4th May - May Air Display

13th July - Flying Legends

7th September - Air Show 2003

12 October - Autumn Air Show.

Maybe see some of you there *wink*

*wink* Harriers Make Me Happy *wink*

Rach

How did I miss this thread - thanks for alerting me to it Steve (Motts). I like too many aircraft to be rational about it but by categories:

Piston Fighters - Hawker Fury, Grumman Bearcat, Griffon engined Spitfires

WW2 and early post war Bombers - Lancaster, Boeing B-29, Avro Shackleton

Classic Jets - De Havilland Vampire/Venom, North American F-100 Super Saber, Avro Vulcan

Modern Jets - Eurofighter, Sukhoi SU-27/35

Piston Heavies - Lockheed Constellation (in factI I like all piston engined transports/airliners although there are very few left flying now)

Classic Jet Liners - Vickers VC-10 (the most graceful airliner ever made), Boeing 707, De Havilland Comet

Modern Jet Liners - Airbus A340

Light Aircraft - Piper Cub. any Austers

Helicopters - Mil Mi-26 (largest chopper in the world)

I've only included aircraft I've actually seen flying - if I was including 'planes that no longer fly or don't even exist, my contribution would be too long.

I admit the XB-70 is mighty impressive. Unfortynately, I've not seen the one and only example remaining (only two ever flew) but I've seen film of it in action. The massive adjustable wing tips are amazing.

Cor, planes and fried brekkie, Caterham to get there..... Perfect day out!

(All we need is a bunch of dirty women to make the experience complete!!!)

Woo hoo, Eric's found the planes thread (and agrees with my choice of the Vulcan), where were you last night Mr. McLoughlin? (All set for the chrimbo meal and quiz?)

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

So what's all this about star stuff? Something you have forgotten to tell me Alex? *eek* 😬

I will try and remember to remind you all about the Duxford dates a week or two in advance then.

We could have a Seven trip to Mildenhall as well - if its on this year.

*wink* Harriers Make Me Happy *wink*

Rach

some of us don't live particularly close to Duxford and so miss all of this stuff ☹️

reminders nearer the time would allow northeners to make the necessary arrangements: passport to be dug out, arrange for some to come in and feed the pit ponies, tell t'boss that won't be in for a few days as are going "down south"

*tongue*

Caterham 21 VHPD *cool* - one of the few *thumbup*

Missed last night as I had a pre-arranged meeting (ina pub - of course) with an old work colleague. I will be at the Christmas meal next week.

I see why I missed this thread, its in the "Test Area" section - Why?

Perhaps we should therefore limit our aircraft choices to "Test" aircraft only - now there's a whole bunch of interesting machines:

North American X-15

Bell X-1

Fairey Delta 2

Bristol 188

Avro 707

etc etc.

On the topic of VC-10s, it was sad to see old RAF VC-10s being broken up at St Athan as I passed on the way to the Llandow Sprint last Summer (yes - I was lost).

Dave,

I was hoping that if I mentioned it now, then people would put it in their diaries or at least have a vague recollection of the first show being in May...then nearer the time when I start getting really excited about it, we can make plans for all the people far far away to come and stay with all the lovely people in Cam7 land...it'll be like one big happy family 😬

Make sure your passport hasn't expired it would be great if a whole bunch of us can go *wink*

*wink*

Rach

Eric, I thought the X-15 was a Bell aircraft??

The silly stuff has migrated "Down Below" to leave some space for sensible people "upstairs", there are some gems appearing here from time to time though......

I like the silly stuff, me.

Nowt better after someone gives you a headache in work than to check out the silly ramblings of this bunch....

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

X-15 - definitely built by North American Aviation Inc at Downey California. Three examples were made. One totally destroyed (along with pilot Mike Adams) when it broke up on re-entry in 1968. One badly damaged in a landing accident at Edwards AFB seriously injuring the pilot. This machine was rebuilt and the fuselage extrended to allow a larger LOX tank to be installed. It was then painted all white, two additional large strap-on tanks added on and then the plane was used to go for a speed of Mach 7. At Mach 6.7 the plane began to show signs of distress so pilot Bob White abandoned the attempt and made an emergency landing. On examination it was discovered that the fuselage keel structure had almost burned through. The palne never flew again and is now on display at the USAF Museum. The other survivor hangs from the roof of the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC.

The B-36 was the Consolidated B-36 Peacemaker. It was a massive bomber - six pusher piston engines and, in later versions, four additional jet engines to augment the pistons. It was the main USAF bomber until the advent of the B-52. Keep an eye out for the Jimmy Stewart movie "Strategic Air Command" in which the B-36 features prominently (crap plot unfortunately).

The Northrop flying wing bombers came in two versions, the B-35 piston engined original and the B-40 jet powered development. Both radical designs for their time but the (very slightly) less radical Boeing B-47 Staratojet and B-36 were chosen for production. Northrop, of course, revived the flying wing concept for their current B-2. The US designatory system places the letter "X" before prototypes and test airctaft and "Y" before development aircraft. Therefore the prototype B-52 was designated XB-52 and the the development B-52s were designated YB-52. The B-70 Valkyrie never entered production and only two prototypes/test aircraft flew - hence the XB-70 designation.

As an aside, Muroc Air Force Base was re-christened Edwards Air Force Base following the death of Northrop Test Pilot Glen Edwards when one of the Northrop flying wings crashed.

Blimey, one of the professors has arrived in our bikesheds *biggrin* Rach, we need to get the brooms out and tidy up all the chocolate wrappings *tongue*

Welcome Prof. McL *thumbup* Could I have a private tutorial on "Stuff you Write that I don't Understand" please?

Thank you very much

FH