Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Whats your Favourite Aircraft?

scooby dooby doo

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F***er Friendhsip 😳

No, seriously I get a lump in my throat each and every time I see Concorde. Was lucky enough to fly back from Canada a couple of years ago, in the front seat watching the altitude meter rising and the o/s temperature falling. It is something I'll never forget!

I get a similar "British" feeling whenever I see WW2 planes

and the Red Arrows practise regularly over the top of our house *thumbup* 😬

Mr FH spends every evening on his Flight Sim 2002, but I always crash ☹️

FH *cool*

As if I even need to respond...but I will anyway *wink*

Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬 Harrier 😬

I remember when I was a wee nipper, we went to an airshow at RAF St. Athan, we were standing at the end of the runway when a Vulcan did a low level pass and went vertical just above us! The heat/smell/noise was something I'll never forget......Ever since then the Vulcan is at the top of my list...

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

I like the Tornado as well. Especially after it flew about 30 ft above us on reheat at Duxford. Low enough that you could see how many fingers the pilot was holding up, loud enough that when i hawk went over soon after the noise was barely noticable to us. ALthough another friend had arrived by then and jumed a mile at the noise of th Hawk...

Rach - *smile*

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

One of the coolest things I ever saw was a Tornado in the Lake District.

I was walking on a ridge and could hear a jet but not see it - there was a loud roar and it crested the ridge right above me (and very close) and upside down. The pilot just had time to wave before disappearing down the other side.

The Lake District is a favourite area for training.... a few years ago I was minding my own business driving along on a bright and sunny morning (about 05.00), hardly another car in sight....... and this thing aimed straight for me *eek*, rising up and away at what seemed like about a hundred feet from my bonnet - quite scary at the time 😳

Watched a Hercules do a low level run along Coniston Water a few years back - felt very weird being above the plane.

Also saw a Harrier and Spitfire (on lorries) get lost in Lancaster - most amusing watching HGV driver trying to turn his truck around in a narrow road with a harrier on the back!

for sports flying, my WOT4. Aerobatics, the Tai Ji, and for fun, the delta.

Yes these are MY aircraft, and fit in the garage along with the Subaru WRC and Corolla WRC (both with real engines (read IC).

Big planes:

Lancaster, Spitfire, Concorde, Vulcan, Tornado, Sukhoi SU ?? (aerobatics)

Sounds like your parents were like mine (good northern stock of course) *wink* and made you save for something you wanted. I think back to the number of times I started saving for one thing, only to change my mind part way through the upward climb towards the required amount. Today's kids get it all too easily *mad* On that note, I think I shall have a wee dram and go orf to me bed *tongue*

FH

When I was at Wright Patterson Airforce Base, I popped into the Museum.

There they had:

* A stealth fighter (which I touched)

* An SR-71 (whose exhaust I took a picture of, and I touched it too)

But the BEST was the NORTH AMERICAN XB-70 "VALKYRIE"

It's hard to describe how enormous this plane is, but I hope this photo shows it - just compare the people to the size of the engine intakes.

The very most impressive thing is the array of engines. I mean, you've gotta be able to do some damage with those *smile*

It's the only machine on the planet with a longer nose than my car

Honda Passion Orange, 640kg *eek*, and proud of it 😬

There have been Hercules flying out of Cambridge and down to Duxford - we think they are practising low level flying at night, which means they are flying just above our house...the sound is wonderful - although obviously not as good as the Harrier 😬

The Tornado Hoop mentioned was good as well - always worth seeing at Duxford, on that occasion an innocent motorist driving down the road, nearly went off into the hedge because he jumped so violently as the plane passed overhead - still not as good as the Harrier though 😬

*wink* Harriers Make Me Happy *wink*

Rach

Edited by - Rachael on 11 Dec 2002 09:58:58

Must admit I like the Hercie-bird too. Going low level in the Fens (Reed top height as we have no trees) is pretty spectacular.

Last Mildenhall show they had a demonstration of helicpoter refuelling from one of them as well as air dropping cargo. At the end they had the loadmasters waving to the crowd with the ramp down - that has to be a bit of a rush.

Also got to walk around the Gunship Hercules - very impressive and like the small boi that I am was given a shell case and magazine/clip/ thing from the on-board canon.

I have heard Mildenhall is on again this year - maybe a good chance to see the Harrier Rach