Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sealing the footwells against moisture.

1in7

I got caught out in some of the torrential rain we ve had recently and while the full hood was brilliant and much better than I expected, I noticed that some moisture had made its way into the footwells. There was a ridiculous amount of surface water around so I’m not too surprised some came in and reading some of the posts it’s not uncommon, is that correct?

So the questions I have are: Is just a case of using shower/kitchen sealant around the internal edge of the foot wells. If so, any recommended sealants over and above the standard. And are there any other recommended areas to be done.

If not, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

1in7

I'd have thought, depending where it came in, you are dealing with the problem from the wrong side.

By that I mean you could be trapping the water in somewhere and creating a bigger problem than you already have.

Maybe you'd be better starting where the waters entering and checking if paneling should be or is sealed to the frame.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth.

Dave *smile*

Just be sure that by sealing the footwell, you're not trapping moisture inadvertantly somewhere, meaning you rot the car from the inside out. As has been suggested, seeing if it's coming in from below of running down from above is key. Should be doable with a gently running hose over the scuttle and sides. If only you available, dry the footwell thoroughly, then lay out newspaper, so you can see where it comes in first by the wet patch!

Chaps thanks for the prompt replies. Just to be more precise both footwells were affected the passenger a bit more than the drivers. And it would clearly be logical to approach this from outside first so thank you for that. i suspect the leading edge and sides of the footwells but by the sounds of it the bulkhead and the area around the heater is a weak spot too so again thats v useful.

How many have used sealant on their cars as a matter of interest?

The water comes in through the heater - there is little you can do other than avoid it other than not expose the car to water! TADTS

As others have said, sealing the footwell is probably not the thing to do as it will stop the water escaping.

1in7

To answer your question, yes I have used sealant. So did Arch when they rebuilt mine a little while ago.......loads of it actually.

I now get only a very small amount through the heater when in extreme rain, but that its probably inevitable to a degree. My carpets don't get wet enough to worry about as a clue to just how much water.

Paul.

Dear All

Thanks for the replies, as a newbie its useful Info and also reassuring. On the weekend I had a bit of a look in the daylight and there is clearly sealant around the external panel joints of the footwells and under the bonnet area areound bulkhead. So it looks more likely it might have come in through the heater as mentioned.

So this is probably as silly question, (I'm still learning). Does that mean that the water literally passes throught the heat exchanger radiator down into the ducts and out through the vents?

Thanks again guys.

1in7

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. A hose pipe on the underside of footwells exposed the leak coming from both the inside corner of footwell.

Have any of you guys useds metal car ramps with your 7 by the way?

Thanks again, 1in7

• 7 months later...
Type of sealant - RTV silicone, clear or black, available from motor factors everywhere. Clear is best IMO, and probably more generally useful. Put masking tape either side of the join before use to get nice edges - although if it's clear rather than black it won't shout anyway. Plenty of application advice on here.

Quoting 1in7: 
Dear All

Thanks for the replies, as a newbie its useful Info and also reassuring. On the weekend I had a bit of a look in the daylight and there is clearly sealant around the external panel joints of the footwells and under the bonnet area areound bulkhead. So it looks more likely it might have come in through the heater as mentioned.

So this is probably as silly question, (I'm still learning). Does that mean that the water literally passes throught the heat exchanger radiator down into the ducts and out through the vents?

Thanks again guys.

1in7

Quoting SM25T: 
Or under the heater unit .... on top of the shelf under the bonnet and in through the vents. Get that silicone sealant flowing !

If it's the "7" embossed heater moulding (and maybe others) there are two drain holes at the very front edge of the moulding where it sits on the shelf. These let out any water that has entered via the centre louvre vent and down through the heater matrix.

Therefore if you bung a load of sealant along the front edge of the heater moulding you will block the drain holes.

You can add a bead of sealant behind the drain holes (need to lift, and possibly remove, the heater moulding though), and around the sides of the heater moulding.

Edited by - Ian B on 8 Jul 2014 21:14:29