Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Daft Question of the day (month?)

Alex Rae

Looking in LF, I fancied the advert for the £50 track day at Silverstone.

I have a new roadsport, with what is aparently a R500 roll bar. Now comes the daft question - do i need to get an FIA bar fitted if i want to take it on to the track?

If so, does that mean the standard bar is not much use in an accident? Also, the FIA bar has a diagonal strut. As the car is going to be used on the road for 99.9% of the time, does this cause any problems in day to day use? And what's the cost?

By the way, thanks for the help on the battery issue. Now up and running again *thumbup*

AJ02RAE

I do not believe that the FIA rollbar is a requirement for track days (other than those organised by this club). In terms of history, the reason why the older style rollover bar was bad was that it was thin and very low, so the FIA went a long way to providing safety. The R500 bar looks to be a significant improvement on the original, but is not as strong in certain directions compared to the FIA.

The diagonal brace behind the head should not cause any problems if you have seats with head rests (either standard or tillet) as the bar will be behind the head rest. If you have the shorter racing seats or remove the head rests from the standard seats, I would be very wary of uning it on the road, as a simple case of whiplash become a skull fracture.

In terms of track days, remember that you can never be too safe, but the majority of tintops have no protection from rolling over, and that was how Frank Williams ended up in a wheelchair (driving home from a circuit and rolled into a ditch).

The choice (in most cases) is yours. If you are truly paranoid (or you intend to do a large number of track days) then get a roll cage. Your mileage may vary, and everyone has a different point of view on this subject.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Saw the LF entry form for the £50 trackday and quite fancied having a go!untill I saw the roll-over bar requirement.My car only has the standard bar which appears to exclude me. More important however does this mean my bar will not protect me either on the road or on the Track?!.