Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dunnell or Raceline

Tonycaterham

Considering having the head modified and some modified cams fitted to my Zetec engined 7 over the winter. No time to do it myslef so appraoched Dunnell and Raceline to do the job. Both quote approx 190bhp at the flyweel with the mods, but Dunnell are quoting about £1,100 plus VAT and Raceline about £1,600 + VAT. Car already fiited with Twin 45's and Alpha management system which is staying.

Anyone any experience of these two companies, otherwise tempted to go to Dunnell.

Tony

I used aceline for my Zetec conversion and they are very helpful and willing to chat things over and help out when you get stuck. They would be my choice. I also had a report of Dunnell which put me off them, but that isn't to say that they would have been fine or that their stuff is good. Things like the non-user programmable ECU put me off as well.

A third option for you is DVApower. I'm sure he'll do the head work and supply cams, leaving you with just the re-assembly, would you have the time - only a couple of evenings really.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

I used Dunnell myself (165 brake). No complaints about their work although the progression jetting on carb is suspect.

My advice? Go to whomever is nearest to you because you'll inevitably go there more than once. *thumbup*

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

Have you tried Schollar Engines, when i was looking to go to throttle bodies they were comming cheaper than the companies you have mentioned. Their web site is crap but i've only heard good things about their work!

Andy *thumbup*

Edited by - Bananaman on 10 Dec 2002 21:33:18

Interested in Nigel Mills' comment above. I too have a Dunnell 1.8 giving 165 BHP on 40 DCOEs. Very happy with it now but had to make a return trip to Suffolk (from Swindon) to sort out the poor pick-up, traced to progression jetting among other things. Now runs very well, so have no hesitation in recommending Dunnell.

Ralph - What did he actually do to resolve your problem (as progression requires drillings)?

Also Matt - how does a 195 give 210 anyway? Are you using 45s or TBs and if 45s, what chokes?

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

Edited by - millsn on 13 Dec 2002 17:15:18

Nigel,

Perhaps I'm using the wrong terms (I don't claim to be an expert on Webers!) He actually changed the idle jets, in an attempt to overcome a severe hesitancy when pulling away from low revs in any gear. (He also reset the throttle position potentiometer, which was about 15 deg out - timing therefore lagging throttle position through the range - and balanced the carbs/adjusted idle mixture screws better than I had done).

Result is smooth idle and good progression from low speed in any gear. The most impressive aspect of the engine, after the old crossflow, is in my view the spread of torque and consequent flexibility, as much as the outright power. The 40% fuel consumption improvement is also very welcome!

Ralph

Tony

Thought it was about time I added my comments to your query. I went through this deliberation myself last year and after speaking to Dunnell, Raceline, James Whiting, Roger King etc I left my 2 litre engine as standard except for a pair of Kent FZ2002 cams. Kent suggest that the cams will add between 18 and 23 bhp to a standard engine, mine produced 179.5 corrected bhp at the flywheel on John Noble's rollers. I am using a Weber Alpha ECU and 45's off my old cross flow, these are exactly as supplied by Weber i.e. only 3 progression holes and 36mm chokes. The engine runs beautifully smoothly with none of the often reported progression problems. More power could no doubt be obtained by fitting larger chokes but when it runs this well I am reluctant to interfere with it.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the response.

Will probably go to Dunnells as a bit cheaper and just a little closer. Would do work myself but already updating front suspension to top adjustable top joints and fitting a quaiffe box sourced from Roger Swift so no time left. I wil see if Dunnell can fit Kent cams

P.S. you were right about the Bridgestones I bought off you earlier this year 5 sprints and one hillclimb later and they are hardly worn. 4 trackdays on my A21R's and they are kna*****d.!!!!

Regards

Tony

Tony

I think you will find Mr Dunnell will not fit anything other than his cams, never heard anyone say anything other than nice things about them but I am a tight git and the Kent cams were far cheaper and no one said a bad thing about those either. My total engine costs including scrap engine, rod bolts, sump, cams, ecu and sundries came too approx. £1200, pretty good value for about 180 bhp.

Pleased you are happy with the tyres, as you know I went the 15" route and I wish I had stayed with the 13's for most of the year. 2500 miles and 6 sprints later I have only just worn away the scratch marks that were left by a "buffing" machine. Its BMTR for me again next time, probably several years away at this wear rate.

Paul