Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Harnesses and Inertia reel

SvenDriver

I've just fitted a 4 point harness. I was hoping to retain the original inertial reel so that it could be used for shopping trips. After a lot of fiddling and juggling (using longer bolts of course) I found that whilst the LHS of the drivers chair had sufficient clearance for both belts (washers and bushes fitted correctly etc) on the same bolt the RHS did not. The steel tube of the chair was just being blocked by the bolt on the RHS.

I have resorted to fitting the Harness and removing most of the inertia reel fitments (reel itself is still in place, I hate drilling rivets).

I wanted to have the seat most of the way back being a tall bloke. However the bolt on the RHS (with both belts on it) was preventing the chair travel for the last 3 inches. I cannot see from the clearances that it is possible on the RHS with a sliding seat.

Has anyone achieved this ?

FWIW the harness does make the car look much nicer....

Steve

Take heart - it can be done - I had a similar problem when I tried the same thing and had to resort to cutting the bushes down with a hacksaw until the bolts clear the seat - its a tight fit but can be done - you can still keep the bushes to keep the harness ends away from the chassis and separate

There have been a few threads on this so try searching the archives.

For what its worth I find the intertia belts useful when the hood is up on short trips

• Leadership Team

I had some new bushes mad up with a sort of "double reversed top hat " set up, ie. the harness and IR fit at each side on the bush, with a bigger diameter seperating section in the centre. Works a treat.

Stu.

For now I think I will make do with the 4-point. If it is too mad in traffic I will try one of these:

1. Shave the bolt head to make it thinner

2. Slice the bushes to make them thinner

3. Get a Double Top-hat bush made - nice solution BTW

My friendly next door neighbour has his own machine shop so it might just cost me a favour...

You are correct of course, if the bolt head is shaved too thin it is liable to give. It is my least favourite option. The most sensible thing to do is to redesign the bushes. As long as the seatbelt moves freely and is not on the bolt then they have done their job.

I am naturally cautios about changing anything that would weaken it before its minimum requirements (2000Kg loading). I was thinking of shaving like 1-2mm off the bolt as an absolute last resort. Stresses on this bolt are perpendicular to it. The stresses on the bolthead should not be as high.

No rush on any of this. It's winter.