Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mitsubishi Shogun SWB (2005 >'08ish)

Mike C.

I've been really pleased with my SWB '54 reg Shogun pictured here- I bought privately with 36,000 miles on the clock this time last year. I went for a "4-work Equippe" as the road fund licence on commercials is fixed £210'ish which is good, and bought a 2nd used set of OEM wheels and have equipped it with some winter tyres too.

I just had a major main dealer service done on it (where they check the valve timing and hydraulic systems) for piece of mind (but will probably do it myself in future) and wax-oyled it underneath before last winter, and its been brilliant. It has a ball hitch front and back for boat launch recovery and tows the 7 like there is nothing there. I am contemplating decat, EGR valve removal, K&N and remap for power:efficiency in future. Great vehicles in my experience, look good in SWB form, and built to last. I originally wanted a SWB Land Cruiser or Defender, but I am perfectly happy with the later Shogun, and I expect the post >07 models with the power-remap are pretty good too. I would never buy such a vehicle new, but 2nd hand they are a very buy, compared to the equivalent age and spec. Defender that is twice as much to buy the same age and mileage. I also have a friend with one with 150,000 miles on the clock and that is still going strong, so they do last mechanically too.

I had a SWB V6 in the mid-90s and was impressed with the build/durability.

We have several vehicles, and this would be to replace an Isuzu Trooper (2001, SWB Citation, 85k mls) that is used by the farm manager.

Again, tough reliable, go anywhere vehicles but he fancies a Shogun.

My current 2005 SWB is a 3.2DiD and regularly returns 27-32mpg. It has considerably more power than my previous 2.5 300TDI Discovery that would manage 22-27mpg. The post 2007 DiDs are supposedly even more efficient and powerful, yet the haven't really changed the mechanicals, so it suggests a re-map is the answer. It appears all Shoguns go on and on (whether looked after or not), the only things to watch out for a slumped rear suspension (you can't do much about, or adjust very easily, although it is coil spring, so I fitted HD towing springs to mine) and the only other common faults are poor range on the remote central locking, which can be overcome by extending the aerial to the receiver up the insude of the door pillar, and the driver's seat belt that doesn't recoil very well on most of them, and end up getting slammed in the door.

My 2001 SWB 3.2DiD Auto Equippe commercial has been fairly reliable.

One main problem was Timing Chain Guide failed ☹️. Not uncommon, but as it happened in year 5-6 Mitsubishi wouldn't contribute to the new valves etc, and claimed not to have heard of it - despite several cases on owners forums.

Minor niggles on mine are:

> rear brakes always binding (calipers changed by independant but still happening).

> tracking/wheel alignment no longer adjustable as "seized" so get a lot of uneven tyre wear.

> Fuel gauge and Temperature gauge can start reading incorrectly (Fuel higher than in tank 😳, and Temperature off the top of the scale). Independent changed my gauges and senders, but it's not those ☹️. Think I may have sussed it now though - just need to do some fettling to be sure.

> central locking remote/alarm doesn't work

> rear door handle/lock has a tendency to stick 'open'

> You're not driving it hard enough Matt as I only get 22-25 out of mine :)

Was quoted around £300 for an ECU remap to improve performance and improve fuel efficiency by company exhibiting at Motorsport at the Palace year before last.

One good thing is getting it serviced at main dealer was it qualified for Mitsubishi Assist UK & European Roadside assistance, recovery, and courtesy vehicle in case of any breakdown or accident, for £10 a year. Unfortunately not available to me now as only on vehicles up to 10 years old 😔

Edited by - Ian B on 6 Nov 2013 16:25:36

Edited by - Ian B on 6 Nov 2013 16:28:52

• 3 weeks later...