Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wet tyres

Stef

Hi All,

Since the season is over I've had to book myself a track day to get my fix so I'm going to Anglesey this weekend to try and work out how to drive it faster than Rob... 😬

It looks like it could be very wet, so what do people reckon would be best in terms of tyres...?

1) my usual track day tyres - a very worn set of CR500s, minimal tread left

2) my sprinting Yoko A539s

3) my usual road Yoko A021Rs

Cheers

Steff

if you are going for 'practice' then use your normal sprint tyres I guess, then at least you get experience of running them in the wet. You won't wear them out in the wet *tongue*

IMO - they will all give you low grip if it is very wet and cold and suspect what ever you take you will be sideways a lot 😬 so take it easy *thumbup*

just my 2s worth

however if you want to go fast then get some proper wets or CR28's which are supposed to be the dogs doo dahs *smokin*

rob

• Area Representative

I'd agree with Rob. I'd use your normal sprint tyres.

There's little point in understanding how CR500's or A021's are going to perform if you're not going to use them in competition.

However, I've got a set of slicks that I had a load of fun with at a Curborough day during the summer. Tom and I did run after run after run, mostly carrying various passengers.

We did not learn anything, and the day would have killed any of the Kumho's that I have, but we had a lot of fun *smile*

Do you want to have fun, or learn about your car 🤔

Ok, maybe I'm not taking this sprinting malarky seriously enough but it's a trackday so I'm definitely going with the sole intention of having fun...... Was joking about the working out how to beat rob bit.

Guess ill take both and do a compare and contrast.

• Leadership Team

Hi Steff,

I have driven on serveral tracks in the wet on both 539s and CR500s, and for fun I would go for the cr500s, more grip and more predictable even when low on tread. If you want to practice then go for the 539s.

If it is as wet as predicted mind the kerbs, especially out of Seamans,

Robert