Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Custom throttle cable

TomB

Possibly a weird question. It appear to me that the standard throttle cable is longer than it has to be. My cable winds its way down from the pedal box & then has to do a sharp 90 degree bend to get into the throttle assembly.

Could not an approximately straight cable from the pedal to the throtle be made? This would surely reduce wear & give a better throttle response as the cables route would not be forced through more than one bend.

Is this a silly idea?

Many motorcyle shops will have the bits and pieces necessary to make a custom throttle cable including screw-on and solder ends of various shapes and sizes. Beware though, some short throttle cables may transmit engine vibrations at certain speeds and loads back to the pedal; the vibrations get annoying after a while!

Tom,

I have twin cables on mine - made up from motorcycle clutch cables. They are universal and you could make up the length you require. Approx £6 each from - Charlie Browns (Chester). This would allow you to retain the original just in case you make a bollocks of it or as Felix states if you're not happy with the feel you can restore.

Philip. D. Owen

Membership No. 3976

Edited by - taran las on 11 Dec 2002 08:48:32