Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ideas for oil pressure sender

glasgow

2003, K series....

Standard oil sender replaced twice only to work for a few months then dies. I understand this is a well known issue for the oil sender, however, I wonder if there is any suggestions to prolong its life?

Is the problem due to:

A) Its low position near the ground which makes the sender more susceptible to surface water and grits: in this case, may be wrapping or a protective spray could help *confused*

B) Poor quality: in this case, may be buying better brand sender than the Rover's?!?

C) Electric connections and Earthing: just need regular cleaning/care of the terminals and connectors....

N.B.: Not keen to go for mechanical or doing new wiring, just wonder if there is an easy fix to this issue

Thank you

Ahmed

You could remote mount it and fit an idiot light at the same time. I have relocated mine to the steering rack area.

I also use a Racetech gauge and associated sensor. It has been pelted by airfield stones and all sorts over thousands of track miles and the sender still soldiers on. Can't comment on the Caterham sender, but a lot of people seem to have problems with them.

I smeared silicone on any seams in the sender, and put a rubber-lined P-clip around the body of it with another smaller rubber-lined P-clip around a frame rail on the intake side (Duratec) up high, nearer the air filter than the sump, and fastened the two P-clips together with a single bolt/nut/washer combo. Connected with a S/S line to a fitting in the Raceline horizontal oil filter mount.

More than one way to skin a cat, as they say.

edit - Hey, I thought you had a CSR? *confused*

Edited by - BBL on 5 Nov 2013 01:12:28

Don't mess about go mechanical , my mind was made up when I had 2 fail in 12months and the replacement was hit by a stone and taken out *eek*

Its so easy to go mechanical and will save you money and hassle , near perfect solution I would say

Nick h

IME, the basic problem with the standard sender (a Caerbont unit) is not so much one of quality or water ingress but rather engine vibration. Mounting the sender remotely (CC used to do a kit for this -- do they still?) is the simplest solution, but the best one is to go mechanical.

JV

Errmmm, A few months ago I had some discussion with Ian re mechanical and he kindly sent me the instruction, but to be honest I found it difficult to understand ☹️ Sorry I don't get it quickly.. ☹️ BUT, Ian you are treating Siva differently, you sending him photos.... 😬

SM25T (or Ian)

are your instructions available somewhere other than in your emails? As a 7 novice I am trying to absorb as much info as possible and these sort of things are right up my street in helping me understand what I now own!

Alternatively could you forward the email to me too please.

Many thanks

Jon