Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma Throttle Bodies

evotell

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack or resurrect a thread.

I've got a sigma engined roadsport 140, and an urge to tinker, I was looking at possibly sending the car to premier power to get some more horses however I can't justify the cost at the moment, one day I'll look down that route again but not right now, so was looking for a easier and cheaper solution to my horsepower/responsiveness thirst.

Do premier power sell kits? I'd not spotted this thread before.

Has anyone here done a DIY OMEX throttle body conversion on a sigma 140 recently, just looking for hints, tips, is the bang worth the the buck (£2000 including sensors, loom and ecu) and any other.

Cheers

Have you thought of trying one of Premier Powers ultra light flywheel and clutches?

This is what they have fitted to their F200 demonstrator and they recently fitted one to a 125 Sigma Caterham.

This transformed the 125 Sigma making the throttle much more responsive, giving the car a very sporty feel. It also makes changing gear feel easier.

Fitting these parts also means if you want a performance upgrade from Premier Power in the future, these parts will handle the extra power.

Personally having seen this 125 Sigma, I’d say this is a better upgrade than going for the 140 upgrade.

Quoting K T Scott: 
Have you thought of trying one of Premier Powers ultra light flywheel and clutches?

I've been in touch with Premier power and am considering their 175 upgrade in a year or two. Interestingly you get a small discount if you have a sigma 140 due to it already having the lighter flywheel.

I think in the mean time I'll upgrade the brakes and possibly get some 8" rear wheels ready for the power increase!

Tom

Thanks,

That sounds like a good option, I'm considering popping a carbon prop shaft in at the same time if i do that. Would I be right in thinking that the roadsport 140 has the supersport flywheel in already? (not a ultra light weight)

I'll get in touch with stuart. that seems a lot more cost effective than sticking throttle bodies on that will be take off when i go for the 175 upgrade anyway.

Hopefully i'll be at a Warwickshire meet at some point in the next two months.

Edited by - John Attwood on 20 Jul 2014 15:27:22

If you want the 150 kit, you are going to have to source the Caterham Throttle Bodies second hand. I had a set fitted last year, along with the rest of the components new this year. If you want the best from your 150 make sure you have a carb balancer and the MBE lead for the laptop for proper and accurate setup.

Hope this helps

Chris.

When mapped properly by the 2 Steves the the Caterham 140 and 150 engines produce as near as dam it the same power. The map being bespoke to the actual engine improves the driving experience greatly. The only real advantage with "throttle bodies" is an improved induction roar, a Supersport exhaust however goes a long way to mitigate if you stay withe the standard plenum etc.

I would only change to throttle bodies if a great deal more work was being carried out on the head and bottom end and would not use the Caterham ones. The AT throttle bodies would be my choice along with a way to enable them to take in cool air and not the hot air from under the bonnet.

In terms of £/ho gain the Caterham 125 to 140 conversion (along with a 2 Steves remap) is hard to beat.

Thanks chaps.

Great info RE: the effect of throttle bodies.

On the basis of the advice so far I think I'll be going for 2 Stevens remap and reduction of rotating mass then via premier power. Does anyone know if Stuart does remapping as well? I'm in Solihull so Banbury a damn sight closer than the 2 Stevens!

I've got a 140 already but you say with the remap it's closer to 150? That sounds good to me, arbitrary question now how much of an adverse effect does that have on fuel consumption? Not that it matters much.

The 140 has a lightened flywheel as part of the Caterham package.

I don't think the remap will increase the power but it will make the car much nicer to drive - it did with mine and I was fairly happy with it beforehand.

As for fuel consumption - it appears to have improved slightly *smile* but that also depends on how much I'm enjoying myself.

I would love to but I got the car newish 4 months ago (ex factory demo embarrassedly didn't build my self), its my first one, and I have an itch that needs scratching! Not that I have ever tried a duratec for comparison but i do really like the sigma, there is a frustrating area before you get to the power band when you want more pull!

Slightly off topic..Next car, a few years of, will be bigger engine, self built, etc. Just need to learn some lessons first.

Already decided to scrap any ideas of getting rid of GRP wings and nose and replacing with carbon, seems like a total waste of money unless your starting from scratch. Thats why I was heading down the little bits and pieces to make the car more drivable for what it is. Right now carbon and similarly fortuitous efforts at weight savings seems little more than an extension to something else.

Emailed TracknRoad (thats the 2 steves if i am right?) and stuart at PP and now await there responses. Thanks for the advice so far.

Been in the US for two months driving hire cars so looking forward to driving something doesn't have 7 seats and the handling of the QE2.

Have gone for premier powers clutch and flywheel and Stuart has said that will come of the cost of a f175 upgrade later on. He's also putting his oil/water heat exchanger in and a dual oil and pressure gauge.

He reckons live with that for a while before looking in to a ecu remap and that, as has been mentioned, throttle bodies don't help a great deal and the money can be put else where to better effect.

Bring on winter and the f175 upgrade though. Hopefully I will get to test one before hand.

Hi John

I have exactly the same car as you and the same thoughts, would you mind sending me a blast mail of the costs. It's an interesting alternative to the Caterham 140 conversion.

Many thanks

Mrp

Thanks for the mail John, sorry I can't reply to your mail directly as I'm away on a family holiday. Also thank you SKC for your offer, but I'm still away on Tuesday. I will take you up on this some time in the future.

Kind regards

Mrp