Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series low oil pressure

Hi, looking for some help with my engine please.

I have a K Series which is displaying strange oil pressure characteristics, it has had a refresh because the oil pressure was on the low side. As part of the refresh it had new shells and new oil pump (both were marked slightly but not excessively). It is dry sump and the scavenge pump was also checked over by titan new seals fitted etc. Now upon start up the oil pressure goes up to 60 psi then drops back over 15 or so seconds to less than 10 psi, (basically worse than before). The hoses are clear as are the guaze filters also the relief valve is Working OK. The crank was checked and found to be in tolerance etc.

Any suggestions welcome please! *thumbup*

Thanks

• Leadership Team

Welcome to blatchat *thumbup*

Assuming it's a belltank system ... how much oil do you have in? Your description sounds like an empty oil tank!

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 31 Oct 2013 07:00:21

• Area Representative

The standard caterham oil pressure senders are notoriously unreliable.

Whilst its possible that the oil pressure relife valve is stuck open, I think its much more likely to be an instrumentation issue.(assuming, as Stu suggests, you've actually got enough oil in the tank)

I've got an adaptor and a gauge on a length of pipe that can quickly replace the electrical sender. It has been used to confirm faulty instrumentation on a couple of cars where owners had oil pressure concerns.

I'd get your instrumentation checked first.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Running a mechanical guage and have also double checked it with a calibrated guage, so unfortunately these are actual pressures.

Its a bell housing tank and there is approx 5 litres of oil in the tank/engine. Based in the far North.

Edited by - walterw on 31 Oct 2013 09:15:05

Sounds like time to take it back to whoever refreshed it then as it sounds like it's not been "refreshed" very well though I hope this isn't the case and someone else comes up with a simple cheap answer.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.

• Leadership Team

Quoting walterw: 
Now upon start up the oil pressure goes up to 60 psi then drops back over 15 or so seconds to less than 10 psi
Can you confirm if what you're describing is as follows ...

Start engine - good oil pressure.

15 seconds in - 10psi.

Stop engine and wait.

15 seconds in - 10psi.

Stop engine and wait.

15 seconds in - 10psi.

Stop engine and wait.

Or ....

15 seconds in - 10psi.

Leave runnng and continues to tick-over at 10psi with no obvious damage.

First or second scenario?

Stu.

Willie, are you talking about a dry sumped K series with 7 litres!!!!

Never managed to change more than 5 litres on mine, more typically 4.5.

Anyway assuming belltank there should be about 10" depth in the tank when checked just after stopping the engine IIRC.

Talking about a Caterham dry sump and bell housing tank.

I had my sump off and changed filter too. Took about 7 litres to get it to the right level, including filling the filter. May have been between 6 and 7, I emptied a full 4ltr and the majority of another.

Agreed, and I was surprised too as everyone says 4.5 - 5ltrs. But it definetly took more like 6-7 for mine and didnt throw any into catch tank.

I suppose filter could account for maybe half a litre at max. I'd pipes etc off.

Still, for OP, thats what I'd be double checking first as low level would do exactly those symptoms. Do you have a leak so level could've dropped?