Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newbie questions...

Hi all,

Not a good day for driving today so had the wheels off and cleaned them. Whilst there, I checked the brakes etc. which were all fine. I did notice a couple of things to add to the fettling list.

The first was play in the front hubs which, after a search on here turns out to be normal for one side and easily adjustable for the other. Happy days *smile*

The second was some oil that appears to be coming from the offside of the diff where the drive shaft goes in. The diff was only refreshed in May this year by the previous owner and the car has probably done less than 500 miles since. I'm guessing the oil seal has had a nick or something. Question is, are they easy to change? As the new owner, I'm not sure where I stand really...

I would appreciate your thoughts...

Many thanks from a new owner that probably worries too much *redface*

Are they easy... and you're asking BC for to agree?

:-)

There's lots on this in the archives. If you haven't done something like that before the two most important questions are:

* Do you have a garage to work in?

* Is there someone nearby who will help?

What sort of axle and diff do you have?

Jonathan

The drive shaft oil seals are very easy to replace.

Remove the road wheel, the brake calliper, and the deDion ear along with the hub assembly. Withdraw the halfshaft (with the hub and deDion ear attached) then prize out the oilseal.

Tap in the new seal using a similarly sized socket (as a drift) and a mallet. Keep the seal as square as possible as it goes into the diff casing. Replace shaft, ear, calliper and road wheel and the jobs a good un'.

A friend and I replaced one of these in about an hour outside the ski chalet we were staying in whilst on tour.

ETA; a garage and second pair of hands are useful but certainly not essential. If you're capable of changing the oil on a car or fitting brake pads, then changing the diff oilseal is well within your gift.

Edited by - weeman on 27 Oct 2013 20:40:15

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the description of what is required weeman. It sounds relatively straightforward. The car is getting the cambelt changed soon so I'll add the seal to the list I think rather than do it myself.

The car is a 1.8VVC K series. It's a De Dion axle and the diff is a Titan LSD. I'm guessing it is fitted into the original diff case.

It's a bit gutting that the oil seal is leaking with so few miles under it's belt. Are they prone to failure?

SM25T - Yup - there is a seal where each driveshaft comes out of the diff. Remove the wheel, unbolt the caliper and secure it out of the way - carefully if a copper brake pipe. Unbolt the deDion ear and remove it while withdrawing the drive shaft from the diff.

Lever the old seal out - carefully, so you don't score the inside of the diff housing.

R&R advise filling back of new seal with grease to prevent spring from becoming dislodged as you tap it in.

Press new one in using a suitable drift until home.

Insert drive shaft and reattach deDion ear, caliper and wheel.

Check oil level - up to threads of filler plug on rear offside of diff. Through the boot floor is easiest.

Job done.

You can get seals from Road & Race, Redline, CC and no doubt other places too.

from here

Have a go yourself. I managed it, so any two left ham-fisted numpty novice can do it *thumbup*

Thanks for the additional tips and link

Quoting CharlesElliott: 
Are you sure the oil isn't coming out of the breather and dripping down? Just worth checking as it is simpler than replacing the seal....

I didn't even know it had a breather! I will check that out - Thanks :)

I got the car up on stands this morning and had a good look around the diff. The breather tube goes up into the boot space as yours does. It is clean and dry as is the top of the diff case. I've cleaned it up and, weather dependant, will go for a little blat tomorrow to see if I can confirm where it is leaking from...