Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Extra silencer bit

Steve Robinson

My SLR runs at about 100db so gets me into trouble at some track days.

Recently at Goodwood the nice guys at BaT lent me a great bit of kit, it was a sort of cone with a mesh grill that bolted over the end of my standard exhaust and cut the crucial few db from it.

Have looked in the DT catalogue and found nothing, anybody know where I can buy one of these beasties from (assuming my description was good enough so you know what I mean).

Cheers

Robbo

Most of the tracks / trackday companies have them and will lend them out at the quieter tracks where needed.

I also borrowed one for my SLR at Goodwood a while ago, though still marginal on noise.

Have never managed to find one in DT...etc, but last time I was at Goodwood I asked them, and was told I could keep the one I'd been using all day!!!

Might be worth a try next time you are there.

But be careful using them... they have a nasty habbit of making everything run a lot hotter and in the worst case scenario can cause engine damage (a friend with a Radical ended up with a warped block/head after running at Goodwood with one of their add-on silencers in all day!!)

Having said that I've used them and they seem OK although it did make the engine breathless at high revs and definetly caused a drop in power at the top end.

Ultimately if you can afford it you'd be better of getting a bigger/better silencer from Techcraft/Powerspeed/BTB etc etc

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 9 Dec 2002 11:01:31

Hi Steve

Chris fitted a BIG (same diameter as R500 7" ?) repackable Techcraft silencer to my car. At least I can now replace the wadding that leaches away over the miles .

He also modified the collector box to suit the bigger inlet pipe diameter. Its now much quieter but borderline at some places Goodwood 🤔 no chance peaking at 8400 rpm on the change.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension. Q 979 CGY

Edited by - bilbo on 10 Dec 2002 19:30:35