Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roadsport tyres?

Paul Milton

Used 48's/88's and Ecsta's nad they are all too heavy, too stiff and they ruin the feel of the car onthe limit, in fact some provide too much grip.

How big a difference does this really make with a lighter wheel / tyre combination 🤔

Rightly or wrongly and for as long as I can remember I have always run 13" c/w 888's so I don't really know any different .... mainly fast road use. They certainly don't lack grip *eek* *eek* but as for ruining the feel of the car on the limit I can't really comment.

I'd prefer to keep the 185/60 & 205/60 profile if I did change.

Just wondering how much 'better' AO21R's would be in respect of the above comments, less grip but better in every other area.

........ somewhat nervous about changing as I don't want to end up in a ditch as a result *eek* *eek*

Quoting HeMan: 

Do they make that much difference? I have a Roadsport SV with a 188BHP 1.8 K-series which I use for the odd track day and road. I put the A021R on my 14" rims before Spa last year and they are without doubt grippier in both wet any dry than the out-of-date ZV3 they replaced. But what benefit would going to 13" rims provide, or at the middle ground of 14" am I already in a good place?

Less weight and larger sidewall should provide a better ride.

The 195 width 15" CR500 is great, but I struggle to find where the limit is on it. It just seems to snap a little too quickly. I'm hoping the thinner (175 profile) 13's will make the transition a bit more progressive.

Mine's a 140bhp Sigma and I think it's a bit "overtyred" at the moment, so we'll see how the smaller wheels work out.

Quoting HeMan: 
Quoting FramerateUK: 
All that said, I'm heading to 13" wheels once I've worn these out...

Do they make that much difference? I have a Roadsport SV with a 188BHP 1.8 K-series which I use for the odd track day and road. I put the A021R on my 14" rims before Spa last year and they are without doubt grippier in both wet any dry than the out-of-date ZV3 they replaced. But what benefit would going to 13" rims provide, or at the middle ground of 14" am I already in a good place?

185 x 60 x14 a021r are a great tyre for general use. They fit on the standard wheels and give good ground clearance, grip well and will survive a track day or two even in dry weather with an average driver like myself.

185 x 60 x 13 will be better for track as they drop the car 1/2 an inch, lower the gearing and are lighter, but to get enough sump clearance on the road might require altering spring platforms and lead to the wishbones not being parallel with the ground.

Duncan

Not Grads - we run on A048s. Cheaper and more grip (in the dry!). They're heavier, which some people don't like.

Oops, sorry about that Roger - I thought that their motorsport department (which is based at BMTR) had stocks of the CR500s for some race series, but maybe I'm mistaken!

Anyhow, hopefully that was the only mistake in my supposedly informative post *tongue*

Quoting DJ.: 

185 x 60 x 13 will be better for track as they drop the car 1/2 an inch, lower the gearing and are lighter, but to get enough sump clearance on the road might require altering spring platforms and lead to the wishbones not being parallel with the ground.

Duncan

Hmmm, already scraping the exhaust occasionally when there are two of us, don't think I can risk going any lower...

Quoting Simon Owen: 
Used 48's/88's and Ecsta's nad they are all too heavy, too stiff and they ruin the feel of the car onthe limit, in fact some provide too much grip.

How big a difference does this really make with a lighter wheel / tyre combination 🤔

Rightly or wrongly and for as long as I can remember I have always run 13" c/w 888's so I don't really know any different .... mainly fast road use. They certainly don't lack grip *eek* *eek* but as for ruining the feel of the car on the limit I can't really comment.

I'd prefer to keep the 185/60 & 205/60 profile if I did change.

Just wondering how much 'better' AO21R's would be in respect of the above comments, less grip but better in every other area.

........ somewhat nervous about changing as I don't want to end up in a ditch as a result *eek* *eek*

A huge difference. All the tyres I mentioned are designed for much heavier cars than a Cat. For my road cars I wouldn't look further than the sublime Avon ZZR. Excellent durability too.

I would like to try a set of CR500’s around Scotland but . . . .

They are bl**dy expensive 😔

I would have to alter ‘set up’ due to differing profiles (don’t really have the time for this at the moment)

Front wings would need altering as my car originally came on 15”, I can get away with the 185/60’s bit the smaller CR500’s would look a bit silly !!

Finally nearly everybody I know who has had them (including my original 15” ones) has had issues with quality, not a great selling point really.

. . . . there are also lots of things I like about the 888’s so in the round for now I’ll likely be sticking with what I’ve got but I will make the effort and try a set on my car one day.

If the difference is night & day then I'll give em a go 😬

• Leadership Team

Quoting James.S: 
Can't stress enough the back to back difference.

I must have gone through around 50 sets and only had an issue with the odd tyre which Avon have always replaced.

CR500's or ZZR's?

Stu.

Quoting RS2000: 
So what are people's experiences with Yokohama A539s?

I know a chap who runs a Westfield on those tyres, he likes them.

Not as much grip as a021, but they last longer than really soft tyres and are a lot better than ZV3s.

If they made them in 185x60x14 I would try them on my car.

Duncan

I ran a couple of sets of 539s a few years ago. Yes, they are good value, last for ages and are Ok for normal driving. But I found when pressing on, the car under steered quite a bit, and they locked up quite easily under hard braking. They were not as good as 21R in wet, the car felt quite floaty and I didn't feel confident in them. But it took me a while to come to these conclusions, so you might be ok. It probably depends how briskly you like to drive and the power you have. I don't think they would be wise on a more powerful car.

When I did quite a few trackdays I used 48s and let's just say that you pay for the amazing grip if you drive your car on the road much. They are awful when cold, tramline terribly ,wear out alarmingly quickly and can scare you sh**less in the wet. CR500s are fine and a much better all round proposition

Quoting RossCarmichael: 
Can anyone please advise approx cost of A021s and where might be a good place to source them near Sevenoaks?

SE tyres don't seem to stock them, which is where i've previously gone.

Thanks!

Ross

I get mine from Richard (jj48) on here. He runs Automotive Engineering in Uckfield and is very nice and helpful.

Duncan