Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roadsport tyres?

Paul Milton

The AO21R is a very good all weather tyre & an excellent upgrade on the hard ZV3 tyres. I did a couple of thousand miles on ZV3's & they didn't inspire confidence. I have since done about 20K miles on 21's (second set).

The AO48's are even softer & will give even better grip in the dry but are not as good in the wet as the 21's.

• Leadership Team

I've run 21R's in the past and they're really good all-round tyres, especially in the wet. I'm currently running 48R's and in the dry they're better planted and offer superior grip, just take it easy in the wet .... but that's obvious if you look at the tread pattern! 48R's will give better mileage than 21R's if pushed hard.

Stu.

Any tyre upgrade is probably one of the most noticeable and effective upgrades you can make, the car corners like it should with 'sticky' tyres. Before you decide you should read the many threads here on tyres...if you are to do track work the AO21's in the hotter months could overheat after a while, but if for general road work, they are hard to beat IMO. They have smaller tread blocks than the A048's that give you confidence as you can feel the car loading up against the block movement very progressively. In any case whatever you choose, you really should be aware of 'oil surge' if you are cornering hard with sticky tyres for sustained periods...oil tank sump gasket/pick up mods as per Dave Andrews recommendations as a start and then Apollo tank etc. If you buy Yokohama's one of the cheapest places to buy is George Polley. *wavey*

If you want them for road use go for the 21Rs. I had A048s on my Caterham 21 and they're not great in cold or wet conditions:

Cold A048

Sevens are fantastic in the dry anyway (even on ZV3s, which I had on my 7).

I'd go for wet weather tyres which warm up quickly if it's road mainly. Which implies A021s.

On my one serious Caterham track day experience we shredded the tyres in a single day anyway (CR500s).

I am interested in this having just bought an ex-Roadsport car on CR500s. 1 tyre is in need of replacing so deciding whether to continue with CR500s despite some of the comments regarding the new compound and the price difference. I previously had A021's on a bik engined Westfield. It was 10 years ago but they were great at the time. Have things moved on that much with compounds like the CR500 that makes them worth the extra?

My 2d worth...

I didn't enjoy the ZV3 tyres in the wet. I moved to A048 which were super by comparison. I now have R888 and are better still, the side wall isn't as stiff so it doesn't tramline like the A048.

Mine is a Roadsport on 14" wheels. As already said, if yours is a k series then you'll have oil surge even on the road so an Apollo should be a minimum.

I just swapped my ZV3s with 21s for a trip to Spa (which almost always rains). My ZV3s were over 5 years old too and although OK in the dry they were comically bad in the wet. The 21s are noticeably grippier in the dry, the windscreen washer spits out water on most roundabouts now 😬

As for Spa; too be honest you have to be so careful in a Caterham in the wet anyway, so although they were no doubt better its hard comparing the 21s with something I never did a wet track day on as we are talking about maybe an extra hairs width of throttle coming out of most corners. Lots of fun though *biggrin*

• 4 months later...
Finally got AO21Rs fitted by Pollysport (best deal and very helpful) on Friday. What a difference! Took the B660 Ramsey to Kimbolton. Fantastic road and virtually empty of traffic. Car now feels and drives like it should. Cannot understand why it had Z3s in the first place, they were just wrong. *biggrin* *thumbup*

There are ZV3s on the car I'm collecting in a couple of days. I'm hearing overwhelming support for Yoko A021Rs, so a set of these will be the first upgrade on my list. I'm just hoping the ZV3s don't hurl me into a ditch in the meantime.

Quoting SM25T: 
CR500 sidewalls develop alarming splits due to heat difference across the tyre width. They are a very expensive tyre.

I've had many sets of CR500's and never had any splits and the cost per mile is not as expensive as several other makes. They are also very light and don't have over hard side walls like others do.

TonyR

*arrowup*Agreed.

CR500's are the best all round tyre with only ZZR's bettering them - although they don't like standing water.

Used 48's/88's and Ecsta's nad they are all too heavy, too stiff and they ruin the feel of the car onthe limit, in fact some provide too much grip.

Stick to Avons!

Out of interest, where is the best place to buy CR500s from, and by that I mean the best place that will actually have stock!

I think Bradders means BMTR in Birmingham which is where I normally get mine from. They usually have stock of 13" at least, as that's what they supply to graduates etc.

I think you can only get them from there, CC or Avon directly and also there is no 'cheap' option, I believe they are the same price everywhere, although maybe someone can prove me wrong!

Quoting BenF: 
Out of interest, where is the best place to buy CR500s from, and by that I mean the best place that will actually have stock!

I think Bradders means BMTR in Birmingham which is where I normally get mine from. They usually have stock of 13" at least, as that's what they supply to graduates etc.

I think you can only get them from there, CC or Avon directly and also there is no 'cheap' option, I believe they are the same price everywhere, although maybe someone can prove me wrong!

That's right BMTR. I'm full of man flu; that's my excuse.

Price was a little cheaper than CC but only marginal.

The splitting seems to be a problem on the 15" CR500 and less so on the 13".

My 15" CR500 have cracks in the sidewall, but I've read that these are cosmetic only and have no impact on the strength of the sidewall or tyre. I used mine for a trackday this month and had no issues at all.

All that said, I'm heading to 13" wheels once I've worn these out...

Quoting FramerateUK: 
All that said, I'm heading to 13" wheels once I've worn these out...

Do they make that much difference? I have a Roadsport SV with a 188BHP 1.8 K-series which I use for the odd track day and road. I put the A021R on my 14" rims before Spa last year and they are without doubt grippier in both wet any dry than the out-of-date ZV3 they replaced. But what benefit would going to 13" rims provide, or at the middle ground of 14" am I already in a good place?