Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wide track

Superwhite R283

Hi Mankee. Plan is to keep the Bilsteins for a while (from a cost perspective).

Had a few parts offered, problem is the wide track kit is cheaper than the parts individually so if I get a few more parts offers I'll give you a shout for the extensions/ARB. Always knew it was a long shot *smile*

Not a problem! I was in the same position as you when I went widetrack a few years ago. £300 (I think) for a new kit vs. hunting for used bits. I scored a set of wishbones and ARB for £100 via a Graduates racer and the rest of the hardware came from Redline. Once I'd sold the old wishbones and ARB, it was a very cheap/free upgrade.

Might be worth looking on the Graduates forum, as a lot of the racers will keep spares in case of a prang and now could be the time that they will have a purge of parts toward the season close.

Good luck! *smile*

Hi, you've got me thinking now! Probably a question for Mankee - are there any issues with fitting a widetrack to a pre-1996 chassis, ie with the combined damper/top wishbone mounting? Are there two kind of kit or top wishbone to accommodate the pre and post 1996 front suspension?

Hey Tom. No issues at all in my case. I used my existing dampers to start with, so still needed the damper extensions. I used steering arm extensions rather than changing the whole track rod and had to remove a small amount from them as it toed out massively even when the rod ends were wound all the way in. This point might be true for later chassis when widetracking anyway.

I've now fitted (inverted) later dampers that are longer and don't need the extensions. I think I read a post from you way back in the archives, but the damper eyelets are around 3mm wider for the later dampers, so they either need swapping over or the eyelets thinned a little.

Not sure how the geometry and spring rates change in comparison to the post-96 geometry, as I'm still trying to get it handling the way I want it, especially in the wet.

For me personally, and I'm no suspension/handling guru, what it cost me in terms of time and money made it worthwhile. If I had to pay full price for the kit plus for someone to fit it and set it up, I'm not sure it would be worth it. However, if you are into your looks, then having the front track the same as the rear does change the appearance of the car quite significantly.

Tom

I fitted wide track to my 94 car and found that it generally made the 'feel' of the car better, but didn't improve track times. It made bump steer worse which needed attention and the front spring rates need a change as the damper/spring ends up a more horizontal position than on a post 96.

I have a pair of lengthened AVOs which will suit your per 96 set up if you wish, which are surplus as I fitted a post 96 long front after my crash *cry*

Malcolm

Edited by - Englishmaninwales on 28 Oct 2013 07:30:38

• Leadership Team

Tom, I fitted wide track to my old pre '96 car. I used the standard (adjustable) Bilsteins with the extension pieces added.

Later I fitted a pair of post '96 shocks which are around 1" longer, but without any extenders. I had to fit these upside down to ensure acceptable clearance around the top spring platform (now the bottom).

Stu.