Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which nose cone

N Blandin

I have a 1990 chassis but with a post 91 front end fitted and i need a new nose cone.

I ordered a '90 nose from Redline and that's wrong.

I mistakenly thought the front was post 96, so ordered a later one from Mick but that's wrong too!

Is there an intermediate nose?

Mine had the lower fastners fixed to the nose so it sat under the bottom mountings.

Dozily i chucked out the old one in a hissy fit!

Hmm... I am having a similar predicament and wary of different nose cones being available. The Caterham Parts site isn't very clear and it seems pot luck to get a nose cone that's the same as the one that needs replacing.

Mine's a '96-ish chassis with the shared upper wishbone/damper mount. The lower fasteners were fixed to the chassis and the nose cone with the Dzus wires fitted sat on top of the brackets.

If the nose cone fits under the lower brackets, you don't really require the fasteners there at all. Just coax the brackets downwards to a position where the play is minimal when lifting the nose.

This also means you don't get dirty knees (etc) when removing the nose cone.

Had mine like that for at least 28 years and many thousands of miles without problems.

• Leadership Team

Nigel, the nose was updated in '91 for the new chassis and remained the same until around '02 when it was modified to fit more neatly around the later, lower suspension points. Although the suspension was modified in '96 the old nose was used for a few years, but the later nose can effectively be referred to as post '96 (my 1999 car has a pre '96 style nose).

The nose you will need is the "post '91, pre '96" version. Earlier (pre '91) nose had a shallow grill mounting, later (post '96) ones are deeper at the bottom with lower suspension cut-outs. Hope this helps *thumbup*

Stu.

Thanks all and thanks to Mick and John at Reline.

There seem to be several "original" noses that are now amalgamated into two.

Pre and post '03.

However, the rear lip for the bonnet is too far back, so o mine in need to et the top cut off and reattached 20mm forward .

Luckily I have a fiberglass genius down the road who will do this next week.

What fun

Never bothered to figure out how to link to previous posts, but if you search R500D Nose Cone, you'll find my experience of this.

Not sure why you've been told the rear lip is different, as this certainly wasn't my experience *confused*

Anyway, search for the post, and have a read.

Oz