Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trickle charger

Back2a7in0xfordshire

As is the case for most of us, the days are drawing in and the rain is being more and more persistant, which means less and less use of the 7 *mad*

So, as this is my first winter of ownership, I need to get my garage set up for it - main question I have is that I assume I should get myself a trickle charger to stop the battery being drained, if so, which one do you recommend?

And per chance, anyone have a spare one they're looking to sell?

Thanks,

John

Lots and lots on this in the archives.

1 I recommend a conditioning charger that measures what's happening and responds appropriately, not a traditional nonsensing trickle charger.

2 All the reputable makes seem to work fine in practice. I haven't seen any reason to spend more on the fancier models.

3 Buy one with a maximum capacity that matches your battery. Not usually a problem for batteries in 7s but you might want to use it on another vehicle sometimes.

4 Are you fitting a dashboard socket?

Jonathan

I'm not sure what you mean by a 9V socket.

There's a lot of ways of doing this, some of which depend on whether you want an isolator switch. I found the easiest was to fit a "cigar lighter" socket in the dash that is wired directly to the battery (with a suitable fuse). This can then be used both for charging and and as an accessory socket for 'phones etc. I then put a male plug on the end of the charger lead.

Jonathan

I've used an Optimate for years - works well and with lead-acid batteries it can tell if they need a desulphate, plus it does periodic load testing to make sure the battery is healthy.

Checkout offers at motorcycle suppliers, as they are normally cheaper than car parts suppliers.

Cheers - Simon

I bought a simple motorcycle battery conditioner from Halfords. Our batteries aren't much bigger than bike ones anyway! It has worked perfectly for 6 years left plugged in all the time. It came with a fused fly lead that I connect under the car & that runs straight to the battery. Simples. *wink*

Ive recently bought a CTEK MS5.0 with cigar lighter adaptor which im very please with. A bit more expensive that some but a high quality product IMO. I justified getting this one as it could be used for my caravan battery as well. Recommended.

Around eight years ago, after much net research, I bought a Deltran Battery Tender 800 waterproof. Around £40 from a seller on eBay. The unit monitors and charges as necessary and I used it for various motorbikes which were stored outdoors.

Four years ago it packed up but the importer immediately sent me a replacement without asking for the original back, purely on the strength of my e-mail.

Otherwise it/they have performed perfectly since purchase and I cant recommend the customer service enough. *cool*

Tim

Quoting Nick Woods: 
Optimate and CTek seem to be the two that come up the most on blatchat; I have a CTek XS3600 (which i think has been replaced by the MXS 3.8 )and have found it works well for me. I have a 12v 'cigar lighter' socket and charge through that

Same here. Bought my CTek last year (not sure of the exact model number) and charge it through the cigar lighter.

It's been great and I've had no trouble starting the car at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I've bought the Optimate 4 and the TM72 socket connector to charge through the cigarette lighter socket. Only thing I'm slightly confused about is 'CAN-bus' - what the heck is this?

From googling, it seems that this is something fitted specifically to BMW motorbikes, but can't see any reference to other systems/7s. I've got a 2003 SLR.

The Optimate instructions talk about switching the programme over to the CAN-bus mode/programme for vehicles fitted with CAN-bus, to charge through 12V outlet. And don't know if I should switch over to this programme or not to connect via the cigarette lighter socket, or just leave it on the standard programme. Seems like the CAN-bus programme disables the high voltage charging, but don't know if I need this or not. Don't want anything to go pop...!

Anyone got one of these and use it in the same set-up, if so, should I leave it on standard or swicth over to CAN-bus? *confused*

Excuse my ignorance...! *redface* Cheers.

John

Can't help you John, sorry.

Just the other day I was working in a huge house in Sevenoaks. The boilers were just off the garage complex & parked were the owners three toys.

Porsche 911 GT3 Aston DB9 & a Ferrari. All had extension leads leading to them with individual battery conditioners hooked up.

Now which toy will I drive today. *rolleyes*