Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing the oil pressure gauge

I'd like to replace the notorious standard gauge with one of these Stack units:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/stack-mechanical-oil-pressure-gauge-0-100-psi-st3102

Am I better off going for a mechanical gauge rather than electrical - what are your opinions on that?

Many thanks.

Edited by - CycleSi on 22 Oct 2013 23:21:17

Edited by - CycleSi on 22 Oct 2013 23:26:00

• Leadership Team

I use the 0-7 bar mechanical version of the gauge you've linked to and it's brilliant.

The senders for the electric versions are far better quality than the o/e Caterham offerings so unlikely to have reliability issues, but the needle sweep is only around 90º which is a little limited compared to the 270º sweep of the mechanical gauges.

Stu.

I also use the Stack 0-7 bar mechanical gauge. It is a brilliant upgrade over the electrical gauges and provides real comfort in knowing exactly what pressure you do have.

Be careful with the nylon tubing supplied as it can kink very easily. I used it for a while with no problems, but upgraded to braided hose (which Merlin can make up for you) when I last had my engine out.

I am very happy with the electrical Stack gauge in my car. Fitting it was a breeze, and the senders are in a totally different league compared to the Caterham once.

If you decide to go electrical, I would recommend a remote sender kit so that the sender is moved away from its current position at the front of the sump, and also away from the majority of engine vibrations.

I bought mine here, competitive prices and good service!

• 3 weeks later...

I have now fitted the new Stack electrical gauge and it is excellent.

It also highlights how inaccurate the standard Caterham gauge is as oil pressure is now showing around 45 psi hot, as opposed to 30 psi on the old gauge.

One of the best upgrades I have done !