Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Power Outputs

Tim Smith

I'm new to this Sevens business having bought one in August after running around on lairy japanese motorbikes for many years. One thing that's puzzling me is the quoted power outputs from various engines is various states of tune:

1) Are they measured or calculated outputs?

2) If they are measured, where, at the back wheels or at the crank?

Most bike power outputs in reviews are taken as measured at the back wheel which after all is where it actually counts! This seems to me to be a sensible approach in that any claims are fairly easily verified without having to drop the engine to check the tuner's/manufacturer's claims.

One particular claim that seems highly suspicious to me is the 252hp claimed for the Radical SR3 running a tuned 1500cc Hayabusa engine. From my knowledge of bike motors this seems rather high as even a very quick Streetbike class drag racer is unlikely to have much more than 200hp at the back wheel running a normally aspirated motor running on pump petrol without the aid of nitrous.

Anyone like to comment?

Maybe the 252hp is calculated power output at the piston crowns!

The 252 will be brake horse power. In the case of this engine which is well tuned I would assume it is measured on a dyno as "flywheel output". Not sure what that would equate to as power at the wheels.

In most cases with regard to 7's on this forum you will see bhp that is either manufacturer quoted (measured on dyno during engine development) for standard engines, bhp that is inferred from rolling road tuning (for most one-offs), or bhp measured on a dyno for more race developed engines.

I'll leave it to others more knowlegable than me to argue, but I understand that power at the wheels is not that useful a measure as it differs with different measurement methods due to the ways that transmission losses work.

That all being said, I have no idea how believable the 252 bhp is, but it's an oft quoted number of a race developed engine. Thus it may be quite believable!

Graham

Edited by - gridgway on 8 Dec 2002 14:44:40

Blatman, I stand corrected having read the previous debate, power at the crank is indeed the best engineering measurement of an engine's output!

However having read the Radical 252hp? thread I remain deeply sceptical about the claim. Maybe there was just a hint of avgas in the tank when they did the dyno runs.

Powertec claim 252bhp@9500 and 152lbft @7000, incorporating a 4% ram air effect. They get the figures from their rolling road and then add 4%. So consider instead:

146@7000 - This is 97lbft/litre which is as much as is achievable.

242@9500 - This would be equivalent to 133lbft sustained to 9500 rpm which is 94% of peak, so this is very unlikely to happen.

Much more likely is 235bhp power peak at 9500rpm. No more than that is believable. Either that or it runs to higher peak revs.

Tim, I think someone is telling porkies.

The fact that radical quoted the peak power/prm and torque figures does as Peter indicates prove the claims to be false. I'm a big believer in the phrase 'When the flag drops the bull**** stops' and performance testing of the Radical would also support that their claims are well overstated - It really pi##es me off in fact, because people buy off the back of these claims - That said overstating power is unfortunately something that will remain a constant factor in the aftermarket tuning industry.

Transmission/tyre losses on bikes are understandably far less than those experienced by cars, so wheel power in these instances may be more representative.

Home of BDR700

The issue with wheel power is whether what you are measuring on a RR is the same as that experienced on the road, in simple terms it isn't since the tyres are resting on small diameter rollers rather than the infinite radius of the road and there is therefore an unnatural compression of the tyre and hence unrepresentative losses.

That's why I and a number of other prefere theses losses to be measured and added back to give the level playing field of the crank HP.

Oily

As well as over stating power the under quoting of weight is the thing that winds me up. I've put a lot of effort into building a Striker that has been corner-weighted at 390Kg with all the fluids (empty tank), 2 seats etc and road legal. If you believe what you read/hear this is not much less than quoted for cars that are actually 100+Kg heavier than this which is not an insignificant amount.

Being able to over-state the power and under-quote a stripped out dry weight is what produces nicer bhp/ton figures which is what sells cars. Most people don't notice until after they have built and weighed it...

Richard

Peter,

You state a 'maximum acheivable' torque /litre figure of 97lb-ft. I've seen you quote this before. I realise that you've probably explained this before, but indulge me. Is this related to the efficiency of the engine, and is the figure different for a forced induction engine?

The weight question has been raised before - Caterham claim 540 for a K series. With no heater, windscreen, or spare and with mag wheels and tillet seats (although with an apollo so an extra few kg of oil) I weighed 520 kg.

You'll see references to "Caterham kilograms" in acknowledgement of this....

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

I have a little spreadsheet which will calculate maximum acheivable horsepower from a particular engine capacity and will give an indication of the RPM needed to acheive a given BHP figure, it has tailorable torque per litre figures according to the type/spec. of the engine. It is a good bull**** detector for quoted power outputs.

Oily

Hoopy - I think you want to change your signature then - or check your kilos 🤔 *wink*

How about calculating the BMEP for this engine ? , if its more than 235 then it may be beef byproduct ?? .................... bmep = 240 !!

"Bmep is a useful comparitor of engine performance and state of tune, although, care must be taken to consider the rpm at which the engine is operating to determine the power potential. Different engines can be compared directly as swept volume has been removed from the power or torque figures to calculate bmep".

BMEP = Torque x 2473 / cc

ps - my engine is at 93lbft/l at 1598cc and 230.5 BMEP

Dave

Edited by - Dave J on 11 Dec 2002 19:29:45

My old stock Superlight (with Apollo and 1/2 tank of fuel) was under 500kg on a proper weighbridge.

(The weighbridge wouldn't weigh below 500, so that's how I know. The operators stuck a forklift on with my car and then I removed my car. The difference was between 480 and 500.)

The wheels and tyres make quite a difference. Swapping my Pilbeam from crossply to radial and aluminium centre wheels onto magnesium knocked nearly 10kg off.

Paul