Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC head on EU3 engine

Adam

Im planning to upgrade my 1800K EU3 engine with a VVC head. I was hoping to use the std EU3 cam cover with its plug-top-coils on the VVC head. It seems this might not be as straight forward as I hoped as the height of the VVC head (or cam carrier?) is taller on the VVC head than the Std EU3 one. This could mean that the HT leads/coils wont be able to reach the plugs.

Id be interested to hear if anyone has tried this combination off VVC head/Cam cover and whether there were any problems.

Assuming there is a problem, could a solution be to just extend the top electrode (terminology??) of the spark plugs.

The newer VVC engines use the same twin coil arrangement as the EU3, so it should all fit together.

I've got the coil packs from an Eu3 and from a current VVC in the garage, so I'll check to see if there is any difference.

Thanks Miraz.

I already have the VVC (well its at DVA) and it was originally used witn a dizzy so might have different dimensions to your wasted spark version. Be interested to know the dimensions of both the "new" VVC head and cover.

Cheers

The EU2 and 3 VVC heads are the same and the cam covers on the EU3 MPI and VVC are the same. Therefore I think the coil packs probably have different reachs to suit either the MPI or VVC versions (the VVC has a taller cam ladder to fit the VVC actuator). I have a spare EU3 cam cover and VVC coils/HT leads as am I now switching to VHPD (with dizzy, thats a bit of a downgrade!! *smile*) so all my spare EU3 VVC bits are superfulous. You can have them for a small donation to NTL.

Cheers

Bob

The coils from a standard EU3 K Series wont fit a VVC head. Its about 15mm taller, both EU2 and EU3 are the same. The coils themselves are the same but you will need some longer plug top boots, they are red in colour. The plug leads will be ok, I think, as the extra height is in the cam carrier. The cam cover is the same though.

Bob

Got the new coil packs today ...thanks.

Comparing them to my original non-VVC coils packs the "socks" are about 10mm longer (and the coil one is red). Thats both the coil and HT leads "socks".

Adam

Edited by - adam on 12 Dec 2002 20:48:10