Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thoughts on this K Series starter motor?

AndrewGP

I suffered with a problem the wire going to the solenoid.

It was too close to the exhaust and got cooked. I replaced the wire and things were ok after that.

It's also worth noting that Sevenspeed doa similar starter for a similar price.

Edited by - CageyH on 18 Oct 2013 22:12:34

Wiring .... large and small ..... connections ...... replace cables.

Relay in MFRU ...... bypass with cheap external relay.

Solenoid ..... easy to open up and clean/lubricate.

Would hate you to spend a lot of money on a new starter and not find any difference.

Edited by - SM25T on 18 Oct 2013 22:15:36

If you do end up deciding it is a starter you need I have fitted one of these and so far no problems even on restarts after track work and I have been very happy with it. Only point to consider is clearance on exhaust , body is bigger than magnetron type and with my exhaust I had to turn the body on the mounting plate which meant drilling new holes but other exhaust variants are fine to bolt straight on.

This thread is great timing for me. Yesterday at Silverstone, pottering around the circuit viewing, it wouldnt start. Not even a click. Mate poked the heat shield at it fired. Bad connection! Back at the paddock the same thing happened, so we decided to strip the heat shield off and investigate. The cause was the solenoid exciter (brown & red) wire that connects to the solenoid via a spade connector, had melted and what wire was left was heavily oxidised. Not current was getting to the solenoid. We bodged a fix using a flying lead which got me home.

The problem is that with my the old pattern Magneti Marelli starter (K series, EU2) the solenoid is on the top of the starter, with my my long 4-1 primaries, there is so little space, the contact of the exiter cable is getting cremated. The insulation melted on the flylead contact on my way home.

So, Im thinking of hopefully simply(!) swopping to the Magnetron starter, and putting the solenoid and it connect under the starter, well away from the primaries. Has anyone any experience of doing this? I cant see why it couldnt be done, and short of going to a Brise, seems the most sensible option.

BTW - external relay mod, new battery, new battery leads & FIA key are all done. Im going to replace the whole length of the R-B cable and hopefully move the solenoid away from the heat to hopefully (!) gain reliable starting! But first I need to stop wiring burning/oxidising due to the heat from the primaries.

Change the exhaust to a 4-2-1 SLR/VHPD system? Tonnes of room around the starter then! 😬

But anyway, you couldn't send me a picture of your starter could you please, Tom. I have no idea what starter I have, but it's bloody heavy and, thus far, has been completely reliable for the use I put it through, with no modifications to the starter wiring. I think we have the same sort of age cars.

The Powerlite starters and alternators look pretty decent, but I have to keep telling myself that if it ain't broke, why fix it...

Hi Mankee, Ill try and find a photo/ take one, but as far as identification of standard CC starters goes for the older K series goes, the Magnetti Marelli starter has the solenoid on top, and the later Magnettron, has it underneath.

My problem is that the spade for the exciter contact is only 1-2cm from No 3 primary, and is simply melting insulation off the spade and wiring insulation, and the wiring is oxidising and going brittle. It seems so much more sensible to fit the Magentron starter and put the solenoid and all wiring beneath, and away from the primaries.