Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1966 Hillman Imp

Ray Gamma

*wavey*

Long time no see Rob, hope you are well... If only I had the space myself I'd love this. Imps are close to my heart as Dad won one (1969 Oxo Competition) which became the house deposit for where my folks still live (and a knackered Mini).

Later he bought another one and as a Toddler I used to run backwards and forwards across the back seat waving at everyone *eek* Different times...

Deserves a good home *thumbup*

(Sod it, it's going on my watch list...Dad's garage is empty but for a pair of Caterham S Type seats and a 1.6K Supersport Engine *wink*)

Which is more than can be said for the car! Had to reshell the vehicle (and redo (again) the awful front geometry, including adding a ton of weight in the front). Mind you, engine was a screamer - webers, factory modified head and cam, big bore exhaust, resleeved ...

And I thought it was just me that was interested in this other little car 🥰

Unfortunately I can't afford the space for 4 cars in Oxford!! (there really is a huge North/South divide in house prices).

I bought this in 2010 with the intention of having it as a rolling restoration, but just as I got it, my financial circumstances changed and I discovered it would need a little work to get it through its MOT (I learned the hard way about ebay purchases).The car has been dry stored in my barn since.

My opinion (and I'm no expert) is that the fundamentals of this car are much better than the average project (that's why I bought it), but if anyone is seriously considering a bid, please come and see it for yourself (Tadcaster).

Regards

Rob

PS My 1987 Supersprint (Crossflow / De Dion) that I've owned since 1994 will also be up for sale soon *wavey* (don't worry I have another that I'm keeping *cool*).

Edited by - Ray Gamma on 19 Oct 2013 08:53:40

Mmm… Hillman Imp, that takes me back. When I was a kid our next door neighbour used to love Imps and always had at least a couple, one on road and others ‘for spares’. Every Friday night he’d drive out to the pub in the next village and get pissed. Almost every single Saturday was then spent repairing / hammering out dents / swapping over parts to repair the off road ‘excursions’ from the late night drive home *eek* *eek*. 1970’s rural Norfolk certainly had its ‘characters’.

Apologies for the slight OT, have a BTTT.