Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superlight R500k

simonpa

After a very wet long weekend in Ireland this year, Ann declared that after 15+ years of Sevening, this would be her last trip in a car without a 'proper' roof and heater.

I also find I'm doing hardly any trackdays and only really use the car for the occasional commute when the weather is guaranteed.

The demands of house and family, including a mother with a debilitating condition that is only going to worsen, means that I'm not getting enough 'me time' and it's not likely to change for the foreseeable.

As a result, I'm selling my R500k:

It's a 2000 K-series with under 7400 miles on the clock.

I've only had it a few months, buying from a club member who had used it for mainly track work. It had a few issues, now fixed and is a reliable and pretty friendly road car and track weapon.

Plenty of history - mostly from the last 3 years, including a couple of visits to DVA and has been well looked after by a Caterham Motorsport support Team.

Mechanically very good, engine and 'box are excellent, some play in the diff, but not enough to warrant a refresh yet. The suspension has been upgraded recently.

The bodywork is OK, but not up to polisher standards, especially as both rear wings have suffered dinks on track. Bearing in mind that this is a track-oriented car that is also used on the road, I don't see the need to change them.

The price more than reflects any of the car's drawbacks, though.

Further details and pics up on PistonHeads, but please feel free to BM me direct for any details.

Pistonheads R500

I mean the price to be 'competitive' as it would take a respray and (possibly) new carbon to bring it up to polisher standards.

It also reflects what I paid for it not that long ago, along with the time/bits to get it running nicely, back to a more than competitive track condition and be reliable and comfortable on the road.

I'd rather it sold quickly now, than have it hang around until the spring.

If I had the time, I would have it sprayed and replace the carbon and then maybe put it up at 22-23k.

Then again, in an ideal work, I would keep it and just use it when I eventually get the time, but SWMBO is a canny Northern girl and frowns on having so much capital tied up in the garage not being used. Luckily, she has no idea what cameras and HiFi cost..

Hi Stu - thanks for pointing that out!

I thought it a bit strange to not have had any response after a day and a half..

It was showing as 'Live', but I have just tried renewing and it is visible now (to me anyway).

Thanks again!

Yes - I'm sure that will sell. I had R500 K #14 several years ago, and in some respects I still prefer her to R500 D #46 that I own now. What a shame Simon doesn't want to upgrade to a 3,000 mile Duratec R500 as I might have even considered a swap (plus appropriate cash to make up the difference of course ;), as something 'retro to tinker with and refresh over the winter months.

Indeed there is even a dealer trying for £18,995 for a stock std Superlight 1.8K like my brother's (and it even has more miles on than his, and I'd have valued his at £16k tops), so on that basis a 7,000 mile R500 is definately worth the asking here. What with the end of season, prices seem all over the place at the moment regardless of age. One thing though is Simon's deserves to sell, its a good low-miler and the first R500 I've seen sub-£20k. Even the cosmetic bits are not too hard to put right on a 7 - I've just treated my brother's Superlight's rear wings, by removing, sending them away for re-painting, and refitted with nylon bolts to make them easy to get off in another 10 years time when they need doing again.

Good luck Simon, sorry of course you are leaving the fold (you'll be back ;) - I did the same 10 years ago, sold R500K, bought 993 Carerra 4S, 8 years later, sold 993, bought R500D, and enjoy being 'back' very much at the moment.

This does look like a very good car for the money.

If you want a K-series engined car for doing some track days, this would be perfect - especially if you consider it has a full cage and the dry sump. I'd be quite tempted myself if I could justify selling my R300K (which needs a cage and dry sump if I was going to do track days regularly, which is something I do think about.....)

Quoting PurpleMonster: 
Quoting Mark Piper: 
Quoting PurpleMonster: 
that's too cheap *nono*

Nope, it's abut the right price for condition. A repaint is the thick end of £3k all-in.

if rubbed down by naked virgins and sprayed in gold leaf maybe....

I can supply the Virgins but it is the amount per hour that they charge for their labour...the gold leaf is excluded from that quote.

If, however, you can provide a cheaper quote, labour inclusive, please let me know and I will guarantee you a profit on that, per car, for as many cars as you line up. Seriously, drop me a line and I have work lined up for you, but my standards are high.

You can also speak to Tony at TSK - they are often commissioned to paint cars for the factory so know the ins and outs of getting a good finish. They did an A1 job of my bare alloy Superlight #34 back in 2001, it came back with a fresh coat of mango looking like a brand new car (with no polishing to worry about anymore), I forget what it cost, but its going back a few years when cellulose was still 'legal', times have changed. My local paint shop friend had the devil's own job matching the 'Caterham Yellow' to re-finish my brother's rear wings this summer, got there in the end with 2-pack and it turned out to be a Jaguar yellow paint code.

• Area Representative

The cost of painting your car depends on a few things.

Are you going to strip it yourself, i.e. remove front suspension, scuttle, rear wings, exhaust or get Tony to do it?

Transport it without the front suspension on to Tony's in Erith? I had a dolley made up with castors on to help wheel it around.

Is is metallic/pearlesant or a flat colour?

Stripes to be added?

Put it all back together or get Tony to do it?

If you do it all yourself and it is a flat colour then it is really quite cheap, but the other bits make to cost add up.

Nick

Haha - thanks for all the interest/comments!

If I was going to keep it (or sort the bodywork for selling), I'd probably strip it, take it to Arch for a reskin, polish it up and put all new carbon on.

It can easily be done for under £2k and there would be a couple hundred back from the old carbon.

However, I did this with the last car and it did take a good 2 weeks to make a nice job, but I don't have the time to do it again!

Cheers - Simon