Click here if you are having website access problems ×

o/t Restoring Headlight Lenses NOW with pics

Supersprint1988

It's the Saab this time,- sorry.

The headlight lenses are now so cloudy and blurred that I hardly can see the bulb and I believe the performance is severely impaired.

I feel tempted to try one of these restoration kits.

Anyone tried doing this,- and does the polished surface need a protective coat of a kind ?

Edited by - Supersprint1988 on 18 Oct 2013 12:21:35

• Leadership Team

Remove the bulbs and use a cloth over the end of a length of dowel to wipe the inside clean ... spray a little Mr Sheen on the cloth and you'll be surprised at the dirt that comes off! I've had to do both the Caterham and my motorbike but don't know why either should have been so dirty.

Stu.

I attacked some plastic headlights that were dangerous at night they were so clouded. 1000 grit wet and dry first - makes them look beyound repair. Then a goood going over with some abrasive metal polish (that stuff in the goldy/greeny and black tube - good on aluminium) followed by T-cut type stuff, followed by plastic polish.

20 mins later, two very clear and bright headlights. If you looked closely you could see scratches, but no worse than you might expect to see on 17 yr old headlights.

Bri

"Did they stay clear and bright ?"

No idea - I scrapped the car not long after as no-one seemed to want to buy it off me. But I have no reason to believe they wouldn't stay clear, although maybe not for as long as a new set would. But 20 mins every other year would be cheaper than a new set of lights.

Bri

Wienerkalk

Product - Vienna Lime

Vienna lime, 125 g shaker.

Vienna chalk - like waxed.

In older women, and artisans that old plaster and care products available in the highest esteem. It exerts its effect fantastic especially for metals (steel, stainless steel, silver, brass, etc.) and is actually indispensable in the home and workshop.

Vienna lime is a mixture of about 25% kaolinite and about 75% crushed quartz. The exceptionally finely ground quartz and kaolinite fans the causes Schmitzol's Vienna lime works ultrafine polishing without significant material removal. He is so toxic that cat, child and dog might mistake him safely with milk powder.

Withstand the test of time.

Good 'things come to those who wait, and - even if it is made, and later when it is needed. But to develop a quasi horticultural ratio of "fostering and care" even to things has been revealed heavy. (At most collectors can do that yet.) Hardly decidable whether this is due to the things that do not earn more "care", or to the people who shy away from the time involved. We have resources to blunt the ravages of time, care and Hege funds for good things out of metal, wood, leather, porcelain and rubber.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 17 Oct 2013 13:48:08