Click here if you are having website access problems ×

snake oil perhaps

robmar

always being suspicous eabout such things, I got this via email and I thought I would see what every ones thoughts are. I find it unlikely....

================================

Hiclone® has arrived and is expected to take Europe by storm!

Hiclone® Europe Limited is importing an exciting product that is expected to provide Fleet Managers and high mileage Vehicle Owners and Operators with a solution to the problem of spiralling fuel costs and plummeting profit margins. With a proven 10 year track record in the USA and Australasia, where it has been fitted to hundreds of thousands of vehicles, Hiclone can make all the difference by turning marginal losses into healthy profits!

A whirling sensation!

The operating principle of Hiclone is simple. When fitted to the air intake system of a vehicle, it causes the air to swirl in a robust manner. The cyclone like motion has a dramatic effect, in that it drastically improves mixing of fuel and air. In petrol engines it makes fuel particles finer. The end result is a more efficient burn producing more available power, less emissions and of course more mileage.

Hiclone can be fitted quickly by untrained personnel and may be transferred to similar engines if a vehicle is sold. Hiclone works on diesel, petrol and LPG fuelled engines and has no moving parts. It is constructed of stainless steel, it is virtually indestructible and carries a lifetime Guarantee.

…cont

Every vehicle should have a Hiclone!

Less Emissions

Hiclone has a dramatic effect on the emissions of engines, especially older diesel engines. If a vehicle has failed the MOT due to excessive emissions, there is now no need to decoke the engine. Fit Hiclone instead and solve the problem immediately.

We now face stiff environmental emission control regulations forcing people to scrap their older vehicles. Hiclone easily solves this problem allowing the vehicle to remain on the road and meet the emission criteria and at the same time improving economy! Here are some of our test results:-

Hydrocarbon Pollution

At idle speed 30% reduction

At 2,500 rpm 75% reduction

Carbon Monoxide Pollution

At Idle speed 60% reduction

At 2,500rpm 95% reduction

In the longer term it is expected that Hiclone will make a serious difference to tax implications for company cars and allow people to operate vehicles they would otherwise be forced to scrap due to tight emission regulations.

Fuel savings of 5-15% are to be expected for most vehicles. For some vehicles savings of 25% or more can be achieved. For brand new vehicles, fuel saving costs may not be obvious to begin with, but become apparent over time as Hiclone reduces coking and maintains engine efficiency.

Operating costs of vehicles are reduced when Hiclone is fitted due to:-

• significant reduction in engine coking.

• lower turbo charger operating temperatures.

• providing 10-15% more power, reducing gearbox / clutch wear.

Hiclone increases available power by up to 15%! Useful for emergency vehicles for example or when a tight schedule needs to be met? Hiclone is ideal for underpowered vehicles like vans and trucks that need more pulling power.

How much does it cost?

For light vehicles such as cars, vans and small trucks the RRP is just £59.99

For heavy vehicles like trucks and buses the RRP is just £99.99

Some vehicles especially benefit from having two Hiclone fitted.

…cont

I don’t believe it!

Hiclone comes with a 30 day no quibble money back guarantee to give customers a chance to try it out. Here are some results from our early trials in the UK.

1. Alan Longman of Portsmouth has a Rover 218 Turbo Diesel: "Before a full tank would do 400 miles. Since fitting the Hiclones a tank of fuel now does in excess of 458 miles. I reckon I am saving at least 14-15%".

2. Paul Busitti of Portsmouth: "On my Peugeot 406 1.9 TDI which has done 120,000 miles I am saving £3.00 per 100 miles. This is a dream come true for mini cab drivers as my fuel costs have reduced by 17%. And in the morning on start-up – no puff of blue smoke!! ".

3. Jim Bowes of Portsmouth has a 1.8 TDI Ford Mondeo: "The car has been transformed from a sluggish tank to a new greased wheelbarrow! It is like driving a petrol engined car now. I am saving around 15% with two Hiclones fitted".

4. Jim Newton rom Hertfordshire: "I reckon I am saving £5.50 per day diesel costs on my Peugeot 406 taxi. I am doing 550 miles on a full tank now whereas before I was only doing 500 miles. It also seems to be running much cleaner, noticeable by the lack of blue smoke from the exhaust".

5. Margaret Hebdon of Hertfordshire: "My Renault Laguna has been transformed. I am astonished by the drop in petrol costs for my car. I am saving 20% plus I really notice the extra power. The car is much nippier now than before".

And Finally!

Hiclone Europe Limited have decided to donate a proportion of their revenue to BEN (Motor and Allied Trades) for every Hiclone sold in the UK. More details will be announced soon.

Editor’s note:

For further details please contact:

Hiclone® Europe Limited on Freephone 0800 036 0053 and ask for an information pack or email to hicloneuk@hotmail.com.

Is this the same thing which Dave Walker of CCC fitted to a VR6 Golf a few years back ?? . the unit looks like a open vaned turdo impeller , which fits in the intake trunking after the air meter ? .

Guess what the result was on Daves rollers ..................... 2/3 of 5/8 of fcuk all difference .

its up there with the fuel cat , and all those other wonder products .

Dave

Rob

Please could you send me the info.

Are there any pictures?

It does sound like a load of crap I must admit. I am always interested in these ideas purely out of morbid curiousity i guess.

A quick thought on these bolt on improvement ideas.

How come no manufacturers fit them on their cars 😳

James

Snake oil? Doesn't work? 'Course it does!

Alan Longman from Portsmouth is getting much better MPG. This is because the device has straggled the free flow and he can't 'boot it' so well now so has settled for less fuel burning fast acceleration. Result? Better economy !

I have tried a device that recently saved me a lot of fuel costs on the Seven. I used the company car instead!!

All CR*P !

But, water injection................... I have used that to good effect; Ah, that's another story!

I feel that we may all be being a bit harsh on the Hiclone product.

IS IT PURPLE?

Not having seen one I cant say for sure but we all know that purple anodised products give an increase in bhp. I once saw a Nova which had numerous purple bits fitted in conjunction with a vastly superior aerodynamic package. Or it may have been a picnic table mounted on the boot lid.This vehicle was quicker, in the traffic lights grand prix, than ferraris and the like. The driver (Wayne) says "it aint half f*****g kwik geyser" which I think says it all.

James

From what I recall they sell well in the States. If its the product I think it is, it has TV advertising over there on the larger channels, doesn't of course mean its any good. Various devices to promote swirl have been tested by the manufacturers over the years in the inlet manifold. I cannot recall amy cars that currently run one, so perhaps that is the answer.

This garbaage crops up from time to time over here as well> if you want to get an expert opinion on what even a mesh screen does to airflow read David Vizards book on tuning A series BMC motors and then try and convince yourself that stuffing a lump of junk into the inlect tract will give you a horsepower boost. England might beat us at cricket as well 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 Sorry couldn't resist the chance 😬 😬

I saw that same article about putting a hyclone on the rollers... no difference whatsoever.

I seem to recall they did get an extra couple of hp by sticking the compressed air hose up the intake.

Definately snakeoil, just like PTFE oil additives.

Just a thought. No difference on the rollers might mean it needs ram air (as in forward motion)? I believe the Jim Whiting 'Blade' Seven needs forward motion to get that fancy ram-air box working properly. Maybe...............?

Water Injection? Yep. I did it to a car a long while back & it really had a better feel to it. Ever noticed how a cars engine can seem 'zippier' during mist/light rain? Makes you think eh? *thumbup*

PTFE oil additives; do they work? Well, all I can say is that I stuck some in the BMW 525i Co car and that was still going strong at 225,000 miles+. Might have been just as good without it but........... who knows!

Clamshell Club Founder Member and stationary engine enthusiast.

Edited by - chris clark on 9 Dec 2002 20:35:36

Water injection is a good idea particularly on Turbos. Its not a new idea either, I have a 1913 open crank Bentall barn engine at home (Steady Chris) that allows you to introduce a small amount of coolant into the inlet to make it run better. It makes a slight difference but then again it was designed 90 years ago !

Edited by - Graham Perry on 10 Dec 2002 07:22:28

Ask yourself this - do you think the car manufacturers, with billions of dollars worth of research budget, wouldn't have snapped up the patent for this kind of thing if it genuinely worked? Especially with all the hype about fuel economy, emissions etc etc...

Noel - we let you win at cricket so you don't get too upset about the rugby.

Snake Oil. I spent some time in a summer job trying to induce swirl in a diesel engine (for the manufacturers). All I can say is that it's quite tricky, and you more likely to screw it up than to improve it It's also worth bearing in mind that most 16 valve engines copy Keith Duckworth's "tumble swirl" in the combustion chamber, which is used to produce clean predictable flame propagation. I don't think adding an alternative swirl will help, although the effect of the valves is pretty strong.

*cool* 99,000 miles so far

Snake oil!. Oliver's right, can't see it making any different to modern (post 60's) engines. On diesels we have a 1.9 Renault diesel in the family and guess what that is fitted with (as standard). A whole swirl inducing inlet system cast in aluminium. But of course that engine is an old fashion non direct injection diesel

Dave