Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hayabusa failed IVA on noise - any suggestions

Shaun_E

• Support Team

No I haven't gone over to the dark side - the Duratec motor is still firmly planted in the engine bay.

However, I have a colleague who has built a Hayabusa powered 7 type car which has failed IVA on noise. I know a couple of members have got Hayabusa car's through SVA/IVA and was hoping for suggestions on how to get the noise down. The car has a decent size silencer and a standard Hayabusa air-box but it's obviously not enough. The car measured 104 dbA and has a 10750 max RPM. Needs to get down to 99 dbA.

Thanks,

Shaun

• Support Team

The limit is 99 dbA 0.5m from the exhaust at an angle of 45 deg @ 3/4 of the "maximum power" RPM. In my colleagues case thats about 7875 RPM I think although he's not sure exactly as he didn't present the car for the test.

I think it is likely to be exhaust noise as the airbox is completely under the bonnet.

Didn't Darren get his 'Busa through SVA?

I think from those figures its going to be doable but very marginal.

I seem to get lower readings at events in the busa than the K but under IVA conditions with all that tarmac around it will be tough.

I think I would be 102- 104 ish.

I guess he has a CAT also limiting length of silencer?

I would go for the ECU and limit revs.

• Support Team
Max RPM is something you complete on the IVA form - I think my colleague may have shot himself in the foot there! Maybe he could adjust the max RPM (claim a mistake)? The bung is a good idea - is it Merlin who sell them?

Hi Shaun,

I know mine failed on noise initially.

It had a rear exit exhaust fitted with 2 silencers, normal side one and also a rear one.

It's currently not fitted to the car.

It would need repacking and may be a bracket welded on the rear basket but it free for use over the winter!

Blatmail me if you want to discuss more?

Steve