Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HID conversion kits - Offer price

7 wonders of the world

I'm fitting a HID kit in my Elise, standard lights are 🙅🏻‍♂️

Asked my MOT tester, he said they are legal as long as the alignment is correct.

Aftermarket HID headlamps: current UK regulations. Includes:

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the aftermarket should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component;

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place); and

3. comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. - who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly in the same way as any other headlamp.

Jonathan

Unfortunately these are very good prices and not bad kits.

Yes they will fail the MOT but they are quick and easy to covert back when you have enough room in the engine bay to do so.

Make sure the box they come in has the advertising printed properly, a lot of fakes have slightly blurred printing.

Phil

Yes they will fail the MOT but they are quick and easy to covert back when you have enough room in the engine bay to do so.

Where does it say in here it is an automatic failure?

"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given."

My MOT tester said they will pass if aligned correctly, he is not some dodgy tester who doesn't check if a CAT is fitted etc.....

Edited by - Pezky on 10 Oct 2013 11:23:27

Edited by - Pezky on 10 Oct 2013 11:24:55

Current MoT Inspection Manual, Section 1.7 does not instruct the tester to check that self-levelling is fitted, but does require testing if it is:

Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.
That would explain the comment from the tester. However the VOSA regulations apply and it is therefore illegal to use a car on the road which has aftermarket HID headlamps without "headlamp cleaning and self-levelling".

Jonathan

AMENDED: Crossed with Pezky's post and makes the same point, I think.

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 10 Oct 2013 11:31:45