Click here if you are having website access problems ×

gearbox

I bought a new Supersport R last month and have noticed a grinding noise from the gearbox in over run especially in forth. I informed Caterham at the first service that this was an issue. I was told that this is normal but I have never heard this before. It is pretty loud. It is the five speed box mated to the 2 litre duratec. If anyone can shed any light on this I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Are you sure it's the gearbox ? if you have a plate LSD they can make this noice too.

You could contact your AO to see if anyone in your area has the same spec so you can compare.

If the gearbox oil would be very low the box would be reluctant to change gear when it's hot.

Whilst all of them may not do it, many do, certainly my old CSR 260 2.3 did, even though the 5 speed box was uprated by BGH Geartec.

Don't worry, unless it gets worse, but for peace of mind, check the oil level - if you can

Sorry Sergio, where are our manners? As this is your first post, welcome to Blat Chat, I hope we'll be hearing plenty more of your driving adventures? *wavey* 😬

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 9 Oct 2013 00:04:22

Thanks chaps all useful comments. Not sure if its the caterham diff or the uprated BMW one. Its just bloody loud and annoying so I am avoiding forth where possible. Oil levels are good as just had first service. I owned an R300 ten years ago and never had this problem, have any of you got a six speed box and if so is it better ?

Thanks for that I have contacted them and awaiting a reply. Blethyn you bought my R300, had to sell it due to a divorce. Have you still got her ? *smile*