Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED Headlights

Mavic82

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crikey, someone is optimistic at that price. Cursory search says £720 a pair. About £600 more than non LED one's I've just fitted 😳

Doesn't make sense given excellent Cree T6 900 lumen bike lights are thrown out of China for £25. Appreciate hoops of type approval to jump through but it's a switching light source, few reflectors, heat dissapation and a piddling sidelight. How hard can it be ?

I got Wipac's TÜV test cert for the LED Indicators I fitted and that's a joke as to true effectiveness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Can you tell us where you got them?

Yes please.

And how much you paid.

I looked at the J.W.Speaker site for the US, the store appears to list everything but automotive (Interior lights, portable work lights, signal lights, work lights, marine lights (only one there), service parts, warning lights).

Alan, they replace just the glass/bulb unit.

Details:

These are held in place by three clips bearing on the glass flange. The flange is slightly thicker on the JWS unit and you have to make sure the clips don't ride too close to the main body of the JWs light, or they foul on the rim of the headlamp bowl, preventing you from bringing the two parts back together properly.

GJT and JK, I got them from MobileCentre...

8630 UK at MobileCentre

As you'll see from the page, not cheap. I was sold on the benefits over the TruckLite units (not that they do 5.75" units) after watching a demo on youTube...

8630 on youTube see 11:00 for US pattern

The UK pattern is the flipped version obviously, but you can really see the pattern quality.

The MobileCentre guys do offer discounts for Landrover club members, so they may be open to cutting a deal.

Edited by - Rattie on 28 May 2014 09:08:36

• Area Representative
Quoting Rattie: 
Is the 21 a 5.75" or 7" fitment? JWS also do various mounting options, with adjustments, for panel mounts like LandRover or 70s/80s BMW.
7", and of course, a smaller substitute would not be appropriate.

Rattie Hi,

Is there any chance 😬 you might post a few pics of your new lights switched on (night) for a real view of how good they look?

I have the SVC 5 3/4 headlamps and wondered whether you knew if they equated to the Caterham ones you seem to have - for a 'fit' comparison.

The LED lights look the spuds by the way *smokin*

Andy

Edited by - Andy Lef on 28 May 2014 15:31:01

Quoting Golf Juliet Tango: 
Quoting Rattie: 
Is the 21 a 5.75" or 7" fitment? JWS also do various mounting options, with adjustments, for panel mounts like LandRover or 70s/80s BMW.
7", and of course, a smaller substitute would not be appropriate.

Ah, in which case you have even more choice...

JWS 8700 range at MC

(Obviously you'd want the ones with "front position", i.e. sidelight)

The TruckLites are 7" also, along with those SVC multi multi element ones.

Andy, no probs once we have a dry night and I have some time.

Edited by - Rattie on 28 May 2014 15:57:02

Did you look at the video link on the first page?

They test a jeep with standard (like our sevens) then the JW and Trucklight units for beam pattern and brightness. Not a seven but a good comparison to standard.

Reasonable power LEDs do need rather generous heat sinking, and careful air flow management. I've had to add an enormous heat sink area and provide considerable forced airflow for LED replacement assembly for halogen lighting for a leak tester on the high speed metal forming machines I design.

Like a simple resistive load, LEDs get hot from the current passing through them. Unlike a resistive load, as they get hot they allow more current to flow through them. So they get hotter. More current. More heat . . . Simplistic explanation, but its just about right. You tend to also need a current regulated supply to combat the runaway.

Bri

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a night blat. Had one normal and one led headlight.

They are simply awesome, it may as well be daylight and I would not of known if the standard light had been turned off.

So now I just need to loose some weight as they make the bowls shake on bumpy roads. Will risk cutting the back of the body away and find a way of using the bowl as the heat sink.

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the necropost, but here is more info about the J.W.Speaker lights.

I got the seven MOTed on monday for the first time since swapping to the 8630. Passed no problem, as indeed it should, the beam pattern is super crisp!

The lights are now vastly cheaper at MobileCentre and there is a new improved Evo version, which has more elements to it.

At some point I may even get around to taking pictures of the beam patterns. No breath holding please.