Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED Headlights

Mavic82

Whilst touring in Canada we came across a bunch of bikers on Harley's and Victory bikes.

They spotted our 7" headlights and asked if we had tried the led headlights. They use them on the bikes and are a direct swap but apparently night and day improvement compared to the old light technology.

Similar to these very expensive Harley ones here

Anyone tried them? Could really improve our night lights, some include DRL and indicators.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark, see you Thursday!

Those on ebay look a bit cheap, there are others that are also just led with suitable reflectors. However the type I saw we're projector led units.

They seem to be made by jw speaker, direct replacement but are around £600 for a pair!,

This article tests them here

Seems the truck lite non projectors come out best and those are around £90 a pair on ebay so I may give them a go *thumbup*

Edited by - Mavic82 on 6 Oct 2013 18:33:58

Don't forget they will dip to the wrong side, being for the US market. There have been headlamps with built in turn signals around for 10 years or more, but dipping the wrong way.

I often use my seven at night - gets darker earlier as the year goes on, so I leave work when it's quite dark. I think the main problem of the headlights is our position to them - adjust them to light the road on dip to the same perceived distance as in a sensible tin-top, and they act as landing lights, or tree illuminators, when on main.

I've found Wipac clear lenses bought from Stafford Land Rovers to be pretty good at a reasonable price, used with decent bulbs - and still clear and blemish free after several years.

Bri

Blatting at night is not that frequent but would like the best when I do, plus use in daylight is less power sapping with LEDs I guess

I have cibie lights with white bulbs at present which for a seven are good.

Both jw speaker and truck light do versions that dip correctly for the uk. Many lights these days actually are lh/rh independent as they dip centrally. Not sure if it he case here. Both are very popular with Harley's, land rovers and jeeps it seems

Plus they are different which is good to.

Edited by - Mavic82 on 6 Oct 2013 21:17:52

• Area Representative

Quoting 7 wonders of the world: 
Bricol,

If there new light they are quite possible 'flat dip' as many new cars are with no kick on the left, therefore manufacturers can use the same light unit to cover all markets, bikes have had them for a long while now too.

Is that UK road legal?

So having done much more reading the Truck-lite phase 7 lights seem to generally come out best. When digging in to it the best I can find these in the UK is £300 per pair compared to £500 per pair for the JW speaker lights.

I am currently enquiring as to whether the company would be interested in a bulk buy. Perhaps not though as he says they are selling very well and he has a lot of interest......

Waiting on some side view photos to check they will fit OK and then intend trying some.

I notice a company called Mudstuff are selling Truck Lite units stating RHD and E marked... So are they handed and are they actually just further markings on US DOT non handed ones ? Hmm. Personally doubt they're commissioned units.

Truck Lite do sell in singles or packs of six, and there's a hole in my Cibie (Dear Liza 😬)

• 7 months later...

Just took delivery of a pair of 5.75" J.W. Speaker units with Hi/Lo/Side, and a set of their 70mm front indicators. Proved to myself they are a frop in replacement for the small Caterham headlight units. The side light is a single blade connector on a flylead, so clipped and crimped a receptacle onto the original sidelight lead, removed ground wire.

Hope to fit second over the weekend and post some pics.

Seems very bright and defined light pattern. Looks wicked, almost evil 😬

Martyn