Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SLR rim outers

Vinnie_Hki

Hi All,

Son had a brush with some armco at the weekend 😳 and the SLR rims came off second best sadly. They've got some serious dings in the outer bits, but I think would be redeemable if we could get some replacement outer bits.

See pic here

Anyone have any spares or damaged complete wheels where these bits are unmolested? The rims I need to fix are one front and one rear, standard size SLR rims.

Cheers

Vinnie

Vinnie, sadly SLR rims although manufactured in three pieces, actually had their inner and outer alloy rims welded together after assembly, this was done by the manufacturer to prevent leaks one presumes. However, you could run a thin bladed grinder down and through the alloy weld to separate, it is not difficult I have done it, very easy *wink*

KN no longer make spares for these wheels, but you could buy the inner or outer rim from Mike Barnby, but you must ask him to supply without any bolt holes, so you could mark up and drill yourself. I have done this successfully *thumbup*

Vinnie,

You know alot of the SLR wheels are welded together, often under a bead of silicone, so you might need to get them set up on a lathe to part off the outer rim.

StuForshaw will be along soon no doubt, but something tells me that MB outers fit, or can be made fit. That could be complete twaddle though.

To be honest, they don't look at all bad. They don't look like the later rolled edge version; have you considered getting the dents welded and tidied up?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the guidance. I think I'll take them to a local wheel refurb place with a good reputation and see if they think they can be salvaged or not. Looks as though the insurance will cover replacing a set of four if the originals are no longer in production so there may be a silver lining.

Vinnie