Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MTB disc type wheels & brakes

Wrightpayne

Hi,

I'm building a cheap 1/9 hack bike based on a Specialized MTB frame I've bought off ebay. A kind fellow caterham owner has given me a few bits and pieces. Major parts still missing are a set of wheels with hubs suitable for discs and a set of disc brakes / levers preferably cable operated.

I did think about emailing 7 Wonders directly 😬. I know there are lots of keen biking enthusiasts on here - what have you got in the shed ??

Regards

Ian

Tis I *wavey*

I've got a DMR tension seeker for the rear end - replace the rear mech when running true single speed,

or if you go 9 speed I've a cable disc brake up for grabs, also complete handlebars sets NEW with levers, grips, SRAM X7 shifters and full cables too oh and a bell!

Also stems.....

chainsets standard and GXP.........

Drop me a BM I'll see if I can help you *wavey*

Sign up to Pinkbike, everything you need will be on there. The difference between second hand hydraulic and cable discs is negligible - unless there is a very valid reason for going cable (such as no disc mount on the rear and you want to keep the levers the same *tongue* I know, I'm a tart), get hydraulics. Otherwise, rim brakes all the way. I don't buy the 'easy maintenance' argument - Magura or Shimano brakes need bleeding once a year at most, no adjustments required to account for stretch or pad wear.

So... I have a Magura Julie set with one broken lever (hydraulics are fine, clamp snapped after riding in to a tree), they just need new blood (that's what the mineral oil is called), if you want to cobble them back together? Sure they're around somewhere. You can have them for a donation to NtL. Needs pads and discs. Might have a 180mm (or 185mm maybe?) disc floating around I'll chuck in if I can find it. I also have one Avid Juicy (5 I think) that needs bleeding and a new top cap - this uses DOT, so being unused has caused it to leak. Pretty sure there is a rotor for this one. Again, FOC if you want it.

No wheels I'm afraid. Before buying second hand, check out Superstar's clearance items - could be a bargain in there.

Its a hardrock sport - not sure of age. I have a hardrock pro disc which is about 3 years old and the frame looks very similar apart from having v brake lugs on the rear stays. It has the disc mount too on the rear frame.

It looks like the seat/pin, front wheel and rear mech are the only missing parts but some items obviously shot - forks for starters (rusty). Only paid £26 so worth a punt!!

I really like the isla beinn adult bike but at £450 in addition to £100 plus to add disc brakes cannot justify. Plan is to emulate a lightweight / parred down / simple bike for town & country with brakes that work in the wet.

My mate has done a similar thing with an MTB but singe speed though thinks this is 'too' parred down and plans to put back a rear mech and a few gears.

I do seem to have got the bike building bug!! Once I have it in my sweaty mits I'll post whats required.

Other thing I've thought about is re-finishing frame in satin black - not sure of best method of blasting ally frames or whether to paint (etch primer first) or powder coat?

Regards

Ian

I posted up some pics of my bike before, I had it powder coated satin black by a shop in hackney. They did a lovely job, but it cost £60 odd. Worth it, but not for a hack.

I'm building up my own hack again. The Bobcat Bitsa started life as a stock 2003 Marin Bobcat Trail, now with Avid V-brakes and shimano/mavic wheels. Was single speed but going 1x9 with a few new bits. Will post a pic when I'm finished.

Single speed is quite fun, but can be tiresome. If you want to give it a go, I have a couple of cassette adapters if you want to borrow one.

The disc brakes are no use to me so if you want them you can have them. Tell me what steerer length you need too, might have some forks you can use. I'm surprised they're rusty, is it the stanchions?

Second stage of acquisition complete. My mate in Reading collected from vendor!!

Another friend has given me some ally forks that are really nice and a seat pin too. As mentioned its the wheels that are the major item though I'm eyeing up a set on eBay that will be easy to collect when we go on hols in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Ian

PS should we have an old bike category in the forums *eek*

Old bikes aren't that old anymore ☹️ But I'd like to see what other people ride *tongue* Good idea, I'll go start one! 😬

Keep us posted on the hack - the forks you got, they are rigid I assume? I've been tempted by some rigid carbon forks from China - if they aren't too heavy in reality.

Had another look yesterday in every garage and shed they could have been in and couldn't find them anywhere! I wonder if I'd given them away already *redface* Sorry Ian! If it's any use I definitely have a front Avid Juicy 3/5 (not sure which) with 185mm disc and that just needs a bleed and the top cap cleaned up / replaced. This is quite normal on a bike brake that uses DOT and hasn't been used in a long time (and why I now use Shimano 😶‍🌫️).