Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Mot Emissions

PhilKing

Took car to have the dreaded MOT test this week, everything fine as expected apart from it failed miserably on emissions. The car is a 1999 roadsport running a 1.8k engine on roller barrels with an MBE ecu, is was originally a 1.6k roadsport but put the new engine and ecu in last year. It was not just a fail it was off the chart fail, it broke the machine so tester not best pleased. Essentially there was lots of un burnt fuel coming out the exhaust, the car does back fire nicely which I kind of like.

Has anyone an idea as to what is causing such a bad reading and possible solutions. They spoke about a vacuum pipe from inlet manifold to ecu as a fuel sensor but I cannot see a point where this could be on the inlet or ecu. I think that was on the old standard k engine but not roller barrels. Any suggestions welcome, or do I need to find a Caterham friendly garage.

Thanks

I would take your car to Partridge Green Motorsport is Sussex and yes, it's in Partridge Green, near Horsham, so not far from you.

Andy Jupp is ex Caterham and runs a Caterham only Road and Race workshop and he knows what he is doing.

Mobile: 0794 100 2915 Workshop: 01403 713 626 Email: enquiries@pgmsussex.com

Address: Unit 7 Star Road Industrial Estate,Partridge Green,West Sussex,RH13 8RA

I am a satisfied customer and recomend Andy to you.

Piers

R300KWK

mine is a 1.8 k converted from a 1.6 ... same ecu and rb's. This set up is hard to get through but I am told can be if the barrells are set up as per the caterham recommended settings which can be found on BC. Lots of pops and bangs and smell of fuel is indicative of running rich...... copy this into your browser search bar and it will take you to the BC page with the info on it .... http://www.blatchat.com/T.asp?id=56472 you can do it yourself easily with a multimeter and vacuum gauage. *wavey*