Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Winter Upgrades

Graham Perry

We seem to be a bit quiet on the tech side of things at the moment with very few postings. How about a new thread.

What technical work are people planning this winter ?

For me its rear wing repairs (hit a cone going sideways at 30 mph), New brakes (Haven't decided which ones), new shockers and springs (Spax coz their cheap), removal & inspection of front lower wishbones as I saw one break this season,

removal of Oil cooler and replumbing of Dry sump,Oil Change, Possibly new front uprights, modification of my home made aluminium front wing stays so they work better with 13 & 15" wheels, complete removal of di-dion and prop-shaft for inspection, rewire speedo, rewire fog light, new exhaust manifold gaskets (4th set this year) and have another look at the cooling. Oh yes and I may remove the gearbox to check the rings as third is getting dodgy. Now have I missed anything else important .............

I seem to have a list about as long as this every winter, yet my car does only about 800 miles a year. Oh the joys of competitive open top motoring !

This winter, I will be mostly:

1) Fitting press studs so I don't have to hold the doors closed with insulation tape (yes, afraid I do use 'em now and again).

2) Finding another FIA roll-bar without extension so my hood fits, or modifying hood with pair of scissors.

3) Working out how to afford the loan repayments (my body and soul are available for hire at very competitive rates, my mind isn't worth paying for. Come to think of it, neither are body or soul...).

4) Cleaning out the gravel (loose-chippings, too fast, no doors) from under the seats.

5) Rebuilding workmate's 125cc gearbox kart and thrashing it.

6) Driving it more, especially in the rain.

Hiya!

I'm interested in your post about the gearbox - I've got the Cat 6 speed, and it's 3rd is getting dodgy as well - keeps popping out when I lift off, and crunches when putting it in gear. Firstly, does this sound like your problem as well? Secondly, as you seem to be doing the work yourself, how big a job is it to remove the gearbox and inspect? I haven't the skills nor the equipment to do it myself, but most people I speak to seem to respond with much sucking of teeth and planning of holidays.

Cheers!

JDoc.

I mean, come on, it's only a car, right?

Mike, The failure was on Alan Hockhams car at Wethersfield in one of the high speed corners. He was lucky not to roll.

The failure was across both pieces of steel plate on the end of the wishbone that sandwich the lower loop mounting of the nearside spring/damper unit.

Examination proved that the wishbone had cracked earlier from the outer edge and not from the region of the mounting bolt hole. (The crack had some rust in it) Anyway the damper, upright and wheel separated completely from the wishbone which was quite scary so we all had a quick visual check of our own to see if there were similar problems. As my car is now 10 years old and had a few seasons of motorsport I figure its good sense to give them the once over.

CMS239, Its not the mileage that matters its how you drive them !

JDoc. I may well suck it and see. Its not really bad yet but certainly gives grief when cold. Its a 5 speed type 9 with BGH ratios. My father has had many boxes to bits over the years so we will have a look at least. If its too technical it will go to Phil Stewart at Road & Race in Kent, someone who I can thoroughly recommend. Others have said the same on this site.