Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Sump - Plan of flange hole centres

Willie.

Hi folks,

Does anyone have a drawing showing the hole centres of the bottom of a K Series sump flange?

I want to fabricate a sump and just thought I'd ask before measuring up. Hoping to try drawing it up and getting it laser cut.

Long shot, I know, but someone may have done it before.

Willie

I didn't get your BM so I've put the scan here. This is on my home computer and a pretty poor network connection so if you have difficulty downloading it, send me a BM and I'll reply with the image attached. The orientation of the scan is basically looking up at the bottom of the block, but I've labelled it up so you can flip and rotate the image as you require. If you print it out, you may need to play around with scaling to ensure that it prints at exactly the original size, but to make it easier I've included a ruler along each axis of the scan. The sump bolt holes are all M8. Hope this help.

Edited by - revilla on 24 Sep 2013 10:37:51

Sorry you didn't get the Blatmail, it appeared to send ok, but obviously didn't.

I've just successfully got the image downloaded. It's brilliant! You've gone to lot of trouble to do that, so thank you very much. It's absolutely perfect for me. I'll get it into AutoCAD and draw over it.

If you would like a copy of the AutoCAD Drawing (Or as PDF) just let me know.

Thanks very much for the help...I'll let you know how I get on with the sump! THANK YOU *thumbup*

Willie

I would think that the ruler would allow the scale to be adjusted to within a small fraction of a millimetre across it's 30cm length, and as the ruler covers the full width and well over half the length of the gasket the total error scaling this up across the whole gasket should still be a small fraction of a millimetre at most. The gasket mating flange is completely flat so any tiny error will not affect the fit, other than the exact alignment of the bolt holes. I think the available play in these holes is quite a bit more than the level of error that could be achieved. However if you are loading it into a CAD tool it might be worth getting someone to cut a plate of the gasket in some cheap material just to check it fits against the block before going any further.

A possibly more significant source of error may be non-linearity in the scanner I used, i.e. it may have actually distorted the design a bit. If you want, after hours when other people have gone home, I can try to print it out on A3 here, play with the scaling until the rulers measure up, then drop the original gasket onto the print to check it aligns OK.

OK I did what I said, took a bit of fiddling with printer margins to persuade our A3 printer to print it out with both rulers at the correct scale but once I did, I overlaid the original gasket on the print and it lined up perfectly, so it's good to go. Good luck with the sump!

Sorry for the delay replying, trying to sort out piles of things this week, so struggling to get any Blatchat browsing time.

It's no bother scaling it up in reality. The way I do it is take the longest "good" dimension (Between points that are pretty secure/fixed) I can get from the sump or block, and scale the plan to be the same. That gives you a fixed line to work the rest from if you need to move any centres.

I printed out a copy and draped it over the sump and it looks to be bang on. I'll put it on tracing paper for a more thorough check before beginning to fabricate, but I think I've revilla's generosity and effort to thank for saving me a fair bit of time with the callipers.

Plan is to check with the tracing paper, then design in CAD a pattern which I can get laser cut, fold up and weld to make the sump. It's for a dry sump, so some complication to it, but it'll give me something to play with for a while 😬

• 1 month later...